Discuss Insulation resistance in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Is this right anyone?
So basically I'm gonna test the whole consumer unit with an insulation resistance test rather than every circuit would you do basically I need to show my college and I've only been testing since last week and need to show an insulation resistance test of the whole board and show I can do it and prove my lights have no dead shorts and go off and on is this right? Main switch off, all breakers on, I'm gonna put a link in the outgoing side between L+N, the 2 way lighting circuit will have both light switches turned on, then once this is done I'm going to test between link and Earth Whilst also test while flicking both 2 way light switches on and off this will prove the insulation resistance in my light circuit?
Cheers

A global insulation resistance test on a consumer unit will check that there are no potential failures of insulation from live conductors to earth for all circuits.
The consumer unit should be switched off at the main switch with all MCBs on and the consumer unit checked for dead.
A link between line and neutral within the consumer unit is applied and an insulation resistance test from the linked Line and Neutral to the Earth bar is performed.
Any two way switches should then have one of the switches operated and the test repeated and then the other switch operated and the test repeated.
The lowest measurement should be greater than 2M ohms.

The test will not test if the light switches go on and off, this would have been covered during the R1+R2 testing or through polarity testing.

Don't forget the "Safe Isolation Procedure" when you turn the Main Switch OFF

Reply to Insulation resistance in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net