Discuss Insulation test on shower with neon switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Doing an insulation resistance test on a shower, can someone explain how to bypass the neon in the isolator? Do most people chock block bypassing neon or another way?
Also for a lighting circuit with flurocents?
Thanks

When doing an insulation resistance test on most circuits with a load across live and neutral, you need to put one probe of your tester to live and neutral at the same time and the other probe to earth. No chock blocks needed at switches or isolators. :) I just remembered, in a lighting circuit with a dimmer switch you need to bypass the dimmer switch.

Last edited:
Shouldn't need to, are you doing an EICR. Just carry out the test to earth only omitting the line/neutral test.

Doing an insulation resistance test on a shower, can someone explain how to bypass the neon in the isolator? Do most people chock block bypassing neon or another way?
Also for a lighting circuit with flurocents?
Thanks
L and N linked test to earth

When doing an insulation resistance test on most circuits with a load across live and neutral, you need to put one probe of your tester to live and neutral at the same time and the other probe to earth. No chock blocks needed at switches or isolators. :) I just remembered, in a lighting circuit with a dimmer switch you need to bypass the dimmer switch.
OT big time I'm afraid so apologies. Had8Lives - is your pic a silver studded blue?

View attachment 35544

That's why the Crabtree pull switches are so good, drop the cover down and the neon is disconnected. Pointless though if the shower has always on neons etc.

Indeed. But that doesn't alter the fact that AGREED limitations must be agreed!
Mmmm, I'm not quite sure I am following this. If I said to a customer "right I am only going to do the IR test with the line and neutral conductors linked and just tested to earth, rather than......." I think they might give me a bit of an odd look. Mind you it is Derbyshire......

Mmmm, I'm not quite sure I am following this. If I said to a customer "right I am only going to do the IR test with the line and neutral conductors linked and just tested to earth, rather than......." I think they might give me a bit of an odd look. Mind you it is Derbyshire......
I don't disagree, but unfortunately we don't actually have any choice in the matter!

Reply to Insulation test on shower with neon switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net