Discuss Insult or compliment? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gccs

Just had a 'heated' debate with an MEP contractor on the phone who is doing first fix for a job we're on. (We're doing the controls, av, security etc)

I told him to make sure that his team label all the cables as per my spec, every cable, each end!

He told me I was being ----, and I'm not sure if I should take that as in insult on a compliment. I've got over 500 sections of cable going in on this job, some for the network, some for controls comms, some AV some for DALI, CCTV, Security and so on...... I just want them all labelled...... (which I do on all of our jobs, even when we're doing 1st fix).

Your thoughts?

I am not an electrician, but to me that makes sense.

I wouldn't take being called ---- as a compliment but I suppose it depends on his tone! He may be miffed he has got to do something extra..

This is the 3rd MEP contractor on-site, the others have been booted off for being numpties. Perhaps next time the main contractor will use us for 1st fix too....

He couldn't understand the fact that some of the sensors and switches are wired with Cat7, on a star wired bus, so some devices have got 5 cables going to/from them off to other devices or back to the bus. I tried to tell him if a device or set of devices aren't working, I need to know which cable specifically to investigate. Similar with the DALI bus wiring for the lighting.

Given the conversation so far, I wouldn't trust that the cables were marked correctly.
If they don't undestand the reasons for marking, they're not going to be too bothered if it's correct or not.

I thought exactly that, so I think I'm going to send the local PM down for a day and test a big sample with a long lead.

Newbie so here my tu'penny worth. Been in enough server rooms late at night (previous career) to know when you find a well laid out and labeled cabinet you offer a silent "thank you" to whomever did that so you can fix the issue and go home. If you can't see the point of labels you should probably have a shovel- not snips- in your hand.

Imo a good electrician will always think of the next person that may need to follow them in the future.
As for labelling I must be ---- as well. Hell I even have a label on my labeller to say it's my labeller. :oops::oops::oops:

Imo a good electrician will always think of the next person that may need to follow them in the future.
As for labelling I must be ---- as well. Hell I even have a label on my labeller to say it's my labeller. :oops::oops::oops:
bananas on a labeller. i must tell brother.

Due to no cables being labelled and one of our sparks rushing in and not checking the cables he ended up taking out rather a large chunk of a data network for a couple of days.

I'm not saying who the customer was but if your internet was out up north all I can do is apologise to you and a couple of million other users...

Just look him straight in the eye and ask him the following question "do you like working here" oh and make sure he isn't paid in full until its all tested out.

Reply to Insult or compliment? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net