Discuss Interesting EICR results in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dandb

A friend of mine is purchasing a house and has asked an interesting question. He has seen the EICR for the property, which the home owner had, and the only thing he can remember seeing was the absence of an RCD.

He knows the property does not have an RCD on his inspection but it is pointed out only as a code C, requires improvement, on the EICR. And the form has been signed satisfactory with no remedial work.

Now the property has a front and rear garden so I would assume the socket outlets that can be used by ordinary persons to power outdoor machinery/equipment would be a Code B and the others, regarding absence of rcd for cables, shower room etc, to be a code C.

Now I would have thought even if they have put absence of RCD as a Code C, then it would still be unsatifcatory as a result and remedial work would be required.

Anyone got any views opinions. What do you put down the absence of an RCD is a property on the EICR form as I have always failed them saying remedial work required.

Thanks in advance.

Depends what edition of the regs the installation was installed to.

Absence of an RCD is not an immediate unsatisfactory.

only a code C3 , IMO. regs. are not retrospective . what was compliant some years ago may not comply now, but may well still be fit for continued use.

An EICR is assessment of the in service condition of an electrical installation relative to the edition of BS7671 current at the time of the inspection, irrespective of the age of the installation. Amendment 1 of BS7671:2008 no longer requires departures from the requirements of the current edition of BS7671 that do not give rise to danger or require improvement to be included in condition reports (See GN3 for details).
Absence of RCD additional protection for socket outlets unlikely to supply portable or mobile equipment outdoors or in a Section 7 Special Location or where cables are installed at a depth less than 50mm from the surface of wall and are neither protected by earthed metallic covering, enclosed in earthed metalwork or mechanically protected against penetration, Code C3 (Improvement Required) would be appropriate.
Absence of RCD additional protection for socket outlets likely to supply portable or mobile equipment outdoors or in a Section 7 Special Location e.g. containing a bath or shower which does not contain satisfactory supplementary bonding, Code 2 (Potential Danger) would be appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:
The BS7671 regulations are not retrospective, when conducting an EICR the property should be inspected and tested to the regulations that were in force at the time of the installation (See GN3 for details). So for example, if this was in early 1980s or before, the 15th edition (or a previous edition) would apply and they did not require RCD additional protection.

You inspect and test an installation to current regulations....

A code C3 would be correct...

Last edited:
as above^^^ but that doesn't mean you mark it as unsatisfactory just because regs. have changed since it was installed.

Sorry guys! I haven't gone absolutely bananas, as you must have imagined.
I apologise for my student's joke post #5 in poor taste. I left the laptop open whilst I was called away and came back to find I'd been set-up by the little monkeys. However, the webcam was running at the time and the culprit is in for one hell of a surprise next week. I've now rewritten the whole thing to reflect reality.

Last edited by a moderator:
So an absence of an RCD that doesnt protect the use of equipment outside, which is a code C2, means that the installation is signed as satisfactory?

this is one where the inspectors judgement is used, depending on individual cases. if it looks likely that socket/s will be used for outside equipment, then a code C2, IMO. this could be remedied by use of an RCD socket.

this is one where the inspectors judgement is used, depending on individual cases. if it looks likely that socket/s will be used for outside equipment, then a code C2, IMO. this could be remedied by use of an RCD socket.

Hi, yes that would be the easiest and cheapest way to remedy the fault but would you sign it as being satisfactory with remedial work required?

WHEN WAQS Installation done? DID it comply with regs at that time ? NO REMEDIAL action required ALTHO recomendations made re RCD as appropriate

IMHO if I was your friend I would have my own Periodic Inspection for the property carried out so that I was aware of any issues.

The cost of buying a new home to the cost of a EICR !

Once it has been done the Inspector would be able to answer all of your friends questions as he/she will have first hand knowlege of the property in question!

NICEIC and ESC guidelines -

Lack of RCD for outlets which could be used for portable equipment outside is a C2
Lack of RCD where no supplementary bonding C2
General lack of RCD protection C3

ESC BP guide 4 revision 3 - free download

Download the free “Electrical Safety Council Best Practice Guide 3 on Electrical Installation Condition Reporting”. It has good guidance regarding codes.
If any socket is capable of supplying outdoor equipment that does not have 30mA RCD protection, then it is a code C2. Generally this applies to all ground floor sockets. Any other socket is a code C3. Is there any mention about supplementary bonding in the bathroom? This often gets overlooked. If there is none and no RCD to protect the circuits, then a code 2 must be given. How many light fittings have supplementary bonding fitted? In my experience, very few. Any C1 or C2 codes found deems an unsatisfactory report.

Reply to Interesting EICR results in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net