Discuss interior motion sensor for 240v socket circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

samjsharples

Hi guys

I want to install a PIR motion sensor in my hallway to power on a free standing lamp. I will run it on a spare off the ring. Anybody any ideas on what type of motion sensor I would need?

Cheers

Hi mate. Welcome to the forum. There are quite a few senor out there. Where would you like the sensor? You can have then fitting in different locations, like in the ceiling or on a wall. What size area are you trying to detect? How are you intending to wire the lamp to the sensor? Is this for a certain application?

interior motion sensor for 240v socket circuit Screen-Shot-2015-08-06-at-10.47.08 - EletriciansForums.net

ok please see the image for a basic idea

the sensor will be as low as possible and detect an area possibly 6 meters long.

The problem is that there is no lightswitch upstairs for the light downstair so I would like it to detect when I get to the bottom of the stairs and also when walking through the hallway.

Are there any 'better' types of these other than the £10 ones on ebay?
Are there any other issues, other than detection angle, when installing so low?
Are they ok to wire into the main ring?

thanks

If you want to use a sensor low to the ground you will have to have one that has a horizontal curtain detection field rather than the normal ones.
I presume the lamp under the stairs is the one you are trying to switch? How are you going to wire from the sensor to the lamp?
Hopefully some of the domestic guys will give you some good ideas on what is best to buy.

thanks. Yes the lamp under the stairs is what I want to power. On the other side of the stairs is the garage so I can run cables and power through there.

I thought I may need a different kind of sensor. Any body else any ideas?

why not use a PIR to activate the light that has no switch upstairs?

Reply to interior motion sensor for 240v socket circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock