Discuss Intermittent electricity loss in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mp2016

Hi,
Looking for some ideas of what is going on with our electricity. We had a carpenter who managed to drill into a mains cable (house was fully rewired only 2 months ago). He got an electrician out who crimped the broken wire in the wall . however, we are keeping on experiencing intermittent loss of electricity in that ring,worrying thing is that the fuse box is not triggered and we only notice because the tv goes off suddenly. We often manage to restore the electricity by switching off and on the switch on the fuse box.needless to say,we have booked another electrician to come and sort this out,but i am concerned he drilled through something else and that we have a fire hazard...any idea why this is happening?

shorting out the cable by drilling it could have caused the MCB to self-destruct.replacing MCB, checking on the repair, and testing the circuit is the way forward.

How exactly did he "crimp" it in the wall. Agree with above could be a damaged breaker.

You need that circuit tested properly, dead tests, then live tests, by a competent spark.

When the repair was made, did the spark test the circuit in any way?

You need that circuit tested properly, dead tests, then live tests, by a competent spark.

When the repair was made, did the spark test the circuit in any way?
He says he did it, but no further detail. I guess he didnt do it properly, otherwise i would have hoped tests would have shown something was not quite right

Does the area of wall where the 'repair' was made feel slightly warmer than the rest of the wall??! Daz

Perhaps the electrician should of should have soldered the butt connectors instead, crimp connectors will never provide a sound joint...........only joking :D

Edit; there changed it for you.

Last edited:
Lol. Hope no offence taken . A lot of people use 'of' instead of 'have' now. Not sure where it came from. Strange. Daz

For a breaker to be damaged by a direct short circuit it would have to have been incorrectly spec'd (MCBs should be selected based on expected PFC) or it was already old and damaged.
The worry is a break in continuity in a ring shouldn't lose power on the ring unless another fault already exists.
Or the Fault was actually in a spur off the ring and is still faulty.

Still can't see how a break in a ring is losing power on that ring? Is it a radial and not a ring?

Lol. Hope no offence taken . A lot of people use 'of' instead of 'have' now. Not sure where it came from. Strange. Daz
I heard some ignoramus on the BBC refer to the "pacific part of the contract". Pacific! It's a sodding ocean! You hear it loads of times, really annoys me. Personally I think intelligent people like electricians should endeavour to use correct grammar.

Reply to Intermittent electricity loss in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net