Mod
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was a little reluctant to post an intro based on how I've seen others treated on other forums when they've not done an apprenticeship, but having read some of the intro's here seems like a much nicer place.

I've been doing electrical work of various types for family and friends (stopped when Part P was introduced) and as part of my various jobs for over 30 years. Having endured 21 years as a software engineer/research and development engineer/networking engineer, I reached a point where I'd simply had enough and I finally decided to correct the mistake I made all those years ago when my career choice was electrician or software engineer.

I spent some time and money formalising my electrical installation skills and knowledge with the usual collection of City and Guilds qualifications before taking the plunge and setting up my own company providing electrical services with a woman's touch in the Newport/Cardiff area of South Wales.

I will admit I underestimated how scary it is (a) doing this and asking people to pay for it, (b) leaving a well paid job to step out on my own in a different career and (c) just how much bad installation work I've had to deal with in the short time I've been trading. But it is so much nicer and much more rewarding than being stuck behind a desk even if I do seem to be spending a disproportionate amount of time in lofts with the cobwebs and spiders :eek:

And on that note I'll leave the intro here. May 2017 be a prosperous and happy year for all of us.

Regards

Christina

Yes, welcome and thanks for the detailed intro.
We are a nice bunch, probably 90% ugly as sin (check thread 'face to a name') but are polite, courteous and well mannered - Mondays anyway! The rest of the time we are just like you and need a bit of TLC from like minded souls.
You'll be surprised how many took the same route as you and are trying to do the best for the industry.
Get involved as much as you can.

Hi Christina and welcome along, you made a wise choice picking this forum, it's the best one about :D

Thanks guys :)

Looking forward to getting involved more and that would include wanting to learn from the more experienced peeps who are willing to share their knowledge.

Hi Christina, and welcome. Just looking at your website and first thing I noticed is electrical services with a womans touch needs an apostrophe in womans [sic]

Hi Christina, and welcome. Just looking at your website and first thing I noticed is electrical services with a womans touch needs an apostrophe in womans [sic]
Hi hightower, wasn't expecting a grammar lesson but thank you... I always struggle with the apostrophe :)

Will fix later as that's on the header image... shame I can't fix the leaflets and print ads :)

Thanks guys :)

Looking forward to getting involved more and that would include wanting to learn from the more experienced peeps who are willing to share their knowledge.
i can share my knowledge. won't take more than 2 minutes. :p:eek:

Hi Mate. Welcome to the forum.

Hi hightower, wasn't expecting a grammar lesson but thank you... I always struggle with the apostrophe :)

Will fix later as that's on the header image... shame I can't fix the leaflets and print ads :)

Just poor grammar stands out a mile I feel, wasn't being nasty - just thought you'd rather know so you can fix it. And shame about the print jobs, always worth having other people check designs before you part with your hard earned.

i can share my knowledge. won't take more than 2 minutes. :p:eek:

I've been told you don't last 2 minutes.... :) ( I can't help myself.... I just had to say it.... )

I've been told you don't last 2 hours.... :) ( I can't help myself.... I just had to say it.... )

my missus just corrected that for you. :)

Sorry OP. I think I've de-railed another thread. Well, start as I mean to go on.....

Bang goes my opening speech re well mannered and courteous! Bunch of troglodytes!

all forums have their underground section. this one even has a pet ape.

Well thanks for the welcome. The banter is one thing I think I'm going to miss now it's only me (I was managing a team of software engineers in my last job) so bring it on :) And don't worry, I'm not a special wall flower who is going to be easily offended.

Reply to Introduction in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net