Discuss Inverter problems why oh why in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Have you tried running it DOL without the inverter because theoretically it should run like any other induction motor.

Thought about doing that,but bit worried,just can't connect cables without some protection on motor,not got another starter to try that yet,but an option

Yes you need to control it through a starter or a switch fuse. I think you need to do this to confirm the motor is okay. Maybe when Darkwood comes back on he can throw some light.

Ah I have been thinking about this and assumed the link was already there so my Dahlander theory could be incorrect. What you "could" have is a double wound motor which is essentially two motors in one, a high speed and a low speed. One set of terminals for high speed the other for low. Ditch the link and just connect to one set of terminals, if it is definitely a two speed motor it may function now high speed on one set of terminals reconnect to the others for low.

Basically on the lid it is either star or delta symbols,the motor is 400 v only,my take on it originally a conventional starter was going to be used,high,low speeds,stop & start.
Bringing 6 cables back to that position,but others above me had the idea about using a Vsd inverter.

This isn't a two speed motor in the sense of the word it is a standard motor where low speed is star and high speed is delta. You need to connect the motor as you had it DOL and see what happens without the inverter in circuit.

We need a picture of the data plate, this is just guess work.

That box lid suggests it's a normal/standard/whatever asynchronous induction motor.

Smaller ones are 230/400, larger ones 400/600.

Have you connected a 230/400 motor in delta via the drive? They do get somewhat hot like this unless it's a single phase drive.

Pics of the plate, drive, and motor wired up are required to solve this riddle.

I'm glad you started this thread, its been a learning curve for me RE 2 speed motors and the 2 types. A - Dahlander (2 speed 1 winding) and B - 2 speed 2 winding.

For VSD control you can connect it to the high speed winding.

Read this, I am not the author.

You need to know how it is being used and what type of 2 speed motor it is. 2 speed motors are either 2 speed 2 winding (2S2W) or 2 speed 1 winding (2S1W) type, you need to determine that first. (A "Dahlander" motor as described above is what we call a 2S1W motor in this country).

For 2S2W, the low speed can be any other normal motor speed that is available via the number of poles, because they are two completely separate windings inside of the case. So the high speed can be 2 poles (3600RPM) and the low can be 6 poles (1200RPM) or 4 poles (1800RPM) synchronous speeds.

2S1W motors are different in how they are configured and are going to be either Constant Torque, Variable Torque, or Constant HP depending on the wiring configuration. The quick way to tell is to look at the nameplate: If the Low Speed HP is 1/4th of the High Speed HP, it's Variable Torque and if the HP is 1/2 of the High speed, it's Constant Torque. If you use a VFD on either of these types, you just leave it connected in High speed and the VFD will provide constant torque at any speed. So you actually have MORE torque available at low speed if you has a VT configuration before.

If the HP is the same at both speeds, or the nameplate only provides one HP, it is Constant HP (CHP). That's where it's going to take some decision making based on what the machine does. You see CHP in a lot of metal working machine tools because some operations might require MORE torque at lower speeds as cutting tools "bite" deeper into the material. A classic case in point is a drill press where at slow speed, the bit is requiring more torque to keep it cutting as the bit digs deeper per rotation than at high speed where it takes lots more, but smaller, bites. In this kind of application, you may need to keep the 2 speed connection in play and program the VFD for the two separate loads. In that case, you buy the VFD for the highers Amp draw from the motor nameplate, then you have to have interlocking to make sure you can't change speeds without shutting the VFD off first. 2S2W motors can be like this too, so you need to know exactly what you are working with and what the machine does.

Glad it has helped you Lee I haven't dabbled in motor theory for years although much of that was dc. I think this is a standard wound squirrel cage induction motor where if you keep the same voltage the star connection is low speed and delta is high speed but I think this needs conforming with the inverter drive out of the equation or as the yanks would say Wye and Mesh.

Reply to Inverter problems why oh why in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net