Discuss IR test with transformers and dimmer on circuit in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. DaveS

DaveS Regular EF Member

Evening Chaps

On a job at moment and testing lighting circuits that have a lot of down lighters and a dimmer. Am I correct that if I disconnect live neutral and cpc from board join L-N together with all switches in closed position and test this to cpc and do IR test I have pretty much proved no short circuit between conductors including my switch lines. I will be testing initially at 250v as not to cause damage to dimmer and transformers. Thanks

2. J.C.E

J.C.E Electrician's Arms

yes and any 2way switches- to be opened/closed and tested

• Like Like x 1
  3. westward10

westward10 If I was in your DNA then you wouldn't be so ugly. Electrician's Arms

Yes and test at 500v as prescribed.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Richard Burns

Richard Burns Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Richard Burns
    It is generally recommended to leave the cpc in the earth bar to ensure that other earthed conductors are not affecting the circuit.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ian1981

Ian1981 Electrician's Arms

As suggested in previous post the cpc needs to be connected to the means of earthing during an insulation resistance test, so don't disconnect from earthing terminal.
    See guidance note 3.

6. Ian1981

Testing at 250 is only acceptable if electronic equipment cannot be reasonably disconnected but I would say in your case a dimmer is easily delt with and 500v can be used.

• Like Like x 1
  7. westward10

westward10 If I was in your DNA then you wouldn't be so ugly. Electrician's Arms

The only time I use 250v is when filtered extension leads give false readings and I can't be bothered to unplug them otherwise, 500v all the time and thirty odd years on to my knowledge I have caused no damage.

• Like Like x 2
  8. DaveS

DaveS Regular EF Member

Thanks all very much appreciated especially advice on leaving cpc in earth bar had never considered other cpc's could affect circuit. Always learning

9. Ian1981

An Older bloke I worked with used to damage smoke detectors all the time on a 500v test line -neutral.
    Must have damaged about 5 houses worth till he realised o_O

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  10. westward10

Rarely test L/N on periodics unless 100% sure there is nothing across it so that will only be socket circuits

11. DaveS

DaveS Regular EF Member

Is 500v not likely to damage transformers of down lighters? Also in this scenario for some silly reason all properties have been fed to switches so have atleast 5 neutrals and cpc's at back of box. I am trying to avoid as much any taking off and putting back of switch faces (which would have to do to bypass dimmer) incase I unintentionally cause conductors to become loose. This seems to be the sanest method so far

12. Ian1981

Yeah we normally have an agreed limitation with clients in office eicr type premises.
    No live - neutral IR testing on lighting circuits especially

13. westward10

Won't cause any damage what so ever.

14. Ian1981

I
    its becoming common to take a mains down to switches with a neutral as it does away with needing unnecessary junction boxes above ceilings for things like downlights , makes it easier to terminate as well

• Like Like x 1
  15. DaveS

DaveS Regular EF Member

Very true about logic of sometimes wiring to switches but here I really can't see what they was thinking it's a wooden plinth box cut into and can only get depth of shallow back box really with size of dimmer really is hard work getting all conductors at back of box

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ian1981

Yeah 35mm or deeper is sometimes required especially if you've got an in and out mains and a switch wire.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Ian1981

When fitting dimmers

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1