Discuss IR testing and smoke alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wilko

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi - a forum post got me thinking about domestic fire alarms and BS5839.

I haven't bought the Standard (just check the prices ...) but the IET's Electricians Guide to Fire Detection and Alarm Systems is a handy guide book, a brother to OSG and similarly priced. Also I picked up Aico's Electrical Contractors Handybook which is available foc to trade from their website.

Anyway - on page 80 Aico reminded me their smoke alarms are vulnerable to the high voltage IR test. Hopefully I won't forget

IMG_0414.JPG

Thats the only benefit of having the alarms on a separate way on the CU.

HOWEVER
Aico reminded me their smoke alarms are vulnerable to the high voltage IR test. Hopefully I won't forget
The CU should be labelled with a notice stating which circuit the alarms are attached to!

Aico my first choice . I fitted Kidde too , long time ago . Changed to Aico because at the time they were easier to wire and connections all in the base.
They are very reliable too.

This is for wilco , the Quote did not work , probably finger trouble lol.

I use Aico, mainly cos they're on the shelf at the wholesalers. Not much room for the stripped cables mind, taken to fitting to circular dry liners?

I use Aico, mainly cos they're on the shelf at the wholesalers. Not much room for the stripped cables mind, taken to fitting to circular dry liners?

From memory, you can't use both the holes in the circular dry liners to fix the smoke base, as they don't line up with holes in the base?
Aico for me too.

From memory, you can't use both the holes in the circular dry liners to fix the smoke base, as they don't line up with holes in the base?
Aico for me too.
Nope never found that problem, its all plastic so room for scope. Just wasn't enough room inside the Aico fittings for the bared ends (single insulated cables of sheathed cables)?

Reply to IR testing and smoke alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net