Discuss Is a 1 hour intumescent Metal Meter Box required for '3rd amendment regulations'? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bjtk

-
Reaction score
Hi
If anyone can help with this, I'd really appreciate it!
We've been quoted £350 (!) for a metal 'Intumescent' Internal Meter Box, measuring 400x320x160 mm. The Electrician says that as the box is in the hallway, 3rd amendment regulations apply because it is a fire escape. However there is also a sliding door (not key locked) on the same level with access to street in the sitting room and windows with outside access on basement level. Would these not be applicable fire escapes also? The flat is a rental.
Thanks a lot for any thoughts you might have on this.
Barney

Can you give more information why is this being recommended, landlords electrical inspection (eicr) or are you having any other work undertaken such as a rewire or consumer unit change?

Also is it a house of multiple occupation, is this door used by others?

Can you give more information why is this being recommended, landlords electrical inspection (eicr) or are you having any other work undertaken such as a rewire or consumer unit change?

Also is it a house of multiple occupation, is this door used by others?

Hi. Thanks a lot for your quick reply.
We've just completed other work relating to the HMO licence, including new consumer unit, linked smoke alarms, multiple sockets in bedrooms etc. So yes, 3 bedroom flat, multiple occupation but front door not communal to any other properties.
Regards

Think your being asked who the 'electrician' is?

Hi. Why is that important? They are stating that due to the front door being 'the' fire escape, the meter box has to be metal to comply with regulatory amendments but as there is another escape point on the same floor, my query is whether that regulation still applies? Thanks.

The key here is HMO licence, it has to be signed off and the regulations as far as electrical safety and fire safety is concerned will apply to all means of escape. Read the guidance on the landlords.org.uk site.

Last edited:
The key here is HMO licence, it has to be signed off and the regulations as far as electrical safety is concerned will apply to all means of escape. Read the guidance on the landlords.org.uk site.

OK. From their wording, it seemed they were incorrectly saying that as their was only one fire escape, the box needed to be metal etc. But if the reg applies regardless to number of escapes, I guess that answers the question.
Although why the bl#!dy thing costs £350, I don't know!
Thanks anyway for your input, I appreciate it.

I had added in the word fire to my previous comment, to a certain degree if this wasn't a HMO it may not apply, best to discuss with the sparks if you need clarification, or speak to the local licensing council.

Although why the bl#!dy thing costs £350, I don't know!

Why don't you question this with your electrician. He should be able to explain the cost.

Hi - I'm guessing you have a new supply into the flat and you are making a meter box in there for the first time? (for the supplier to use).

Not up on my HMO regs, but if the box is just for suppliers equipment, they do not have to comply with BS7671?
HMO regs are a whole different ball game and are managed by the local authority, they almost always have a management pack/specification and internal electrical metering in any escape route will normally specify a 30 min intumescent housing.

Would make sense, bored so just looking at such boxes on the internet and various regs. Also seems there are used to prevent the spread of fire and smoke between landings, as a passage way for fire & smoke.

Does it have to be metal or fire-resistant?

Told a couple of people with otherwise perfectly good electrical equipment in wooden/mdf cupboards to make their own liner from fireboard...

Reply to Is a 1 hour intumescent Metal Meter Box required for '3rd amendment regulations'? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net