Discuss Is a drawing register a valid instruction? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

A&MELECTRICAL

Ok im currently up **** creek without a paddle!
Ive been busy on various projects in the meen time we have had a reletively small project running in the background which i havent paid much attention to as the guys i had running it are competent and i trust them..
So after a site visit and a skim through the records we are missing a large amount of site instructions which amount to 60% of the contract value.
The client knows this and is starting to play hardball, im looking at ways to rectify the situation but the only record i have of the changes are the drawing registers and daywork sheets, The question is will a drawing register count as an instruction? im assuming it will as these are changes issued by the client on sighned documents.
Any feedback welcome.

Cheers
Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
Im assumingby "drawing register" you are talking about amended drawings and you have copies of these along with dates issued ?? IMO by issuing a drawing the client is thereby asking you to comply with the latest drawing issued therefore its an instruction

Im assumingby "drawing register" you are talking about amended drawings and you have copies of these along with dates issued ?? IMO by issuing a drawing the client is thereby asking you to comply with the latest drawing issued therefore its an instruction

I would not class the issueing of a technical drawing as a work instruction but more of an assisstance so that you have a knowledge of the distribution network so you know where circuits are supplied from for carrying out work or you amended them and return them if you alter circuits.

Sounds like to me you want some sort of job management system that when your client asks for a job to be carried out, it is recorded and a job card is issued then signed by them when the work has been completed that way you will have some sort of evidence should they start quering your invoices or that you have actually done the work.

Last edited:
If this ever gets legal then the issued drawings will I'm sure count as instructions.

What else a contractor claim?
That he issued revised drawings and let you carry out the work and watched you do these works over several weeks but did not want the work done?

He'd have a hard job arguing that.

If this ever gets legal then the issued drawings will I'm sure count as instructions.

What else a contractor claim?
That he issued revised drawings and let you carry out the work and watched you do these works over several weeks but did not want the work done?

He'd have a hard job arguing that.

Agreed. But if you had to change something because of the amended drawings, you would need an AI or MCI to cover the changes. If nothing has to be changed, nothing needs to be charged extra.

Steve.

It makes me wonder were the instructions ever issued and has this been overlooked by your team running the contract

With this sort of contract I normally price any instructions at least on a weekly basis and update the architect and / or client with price increase or reduction so that there are no arguements over the budget overspend that usually occurs at the end

If the only information / instruction was provided to me by a revised drawing this would be priced and advised to the architect and / or client and approval obtained before proceeding with the work. I would suggest by accepting the revised drawings without an accompanying AI and continuing the work to the new drawings without requesting an AI or advising the cost implications and awaiting approval to continue you may be on a sticky wicket

I think you might be as well checking all communication types email, fax, text etc to make sure that the instructions have not been lost in your system and printing of them overlooked

Reply to Is a drawing register a valid instruction? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock