Discuss is it a regulation to cross bond the heating pipes under the boiler? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It sounds as if that's what was called 'earthed equipotential bonding' which was a requirement for fault protection under the 16th but isn't under the 17th.
So if the electrical installation was installated before the 17th edition you would need to, otherwise not.

If its a manufacturers instruction it must be followed.
If not you could just continuity test it to see if it needs it. I doubt it will!!
If you have Rcd protection, and bonding to incoming service positions. And all exposed pipe work is 'effectively' connected to the MET cross bonding is not required. This is where the continuity testing is necessary.

Must say .I always do it. belt and braces. The time it takes to test the pipework from the MET is the same to do it. Also it can stop any future problems arising from any alterations to pipework at a later date.

If its a full 17th Edition electrical system, then my understanding is that it's not needed. However, the Gas Safe people say it should always be done - just to cover themselves I think.
Would you trust a plumber to make the 17th edition decision???

Last edited by a moderator:
If its a full 17th Edition electrical system, then my understanding is that it's not needed. However, the Gas Safe people say it should always be done - just to cover themselves I think.
Would you trust a plumber to make the 17th edition decision???

You still need to meet the above criteria. Which yes a lot of 17th circuits do.
As for trusting a plumber........
I think there should be a regulation on that LOL

I still amazed that manufacturers are insisting on bonding metal work that may not be extraneous conductive parts, surely it should be beholding on them to recommend an electrician test the pipe work to ascertain what it is.

I really can see an incident happening, where we have bonded these pipes and a fault occurs within the installation, and for a fraction of a second these pipes become an earth path, and someone is touching them.

I'm all for not taking chances and doing the over kill, but bonding pipes that don't need bonding, is not belts and braces, it's wrong

I feel that is something that the plumber should do if he want to do.
or we should charge it as a variation.

If we have an installation up to the 17th edition why should we waste time and money pulling an earth cable in for the plumber

Supplementary between pipes is only about a foot of cable. But I'm sure the boiler has better continuity through it.

I still do it because it is often quicker to do, looks really nice, and i get zero didcussions about bonding pipework with anyone on site

This subject is probably one of the most confusing issues known to man in our electrical world. It is very well explained in the BGB. You must if.............and it is not necessary if..............................and you can do it there if you please.

Cheers...........Howard

You still need to meet the above criteria. Which yes a lot of 17th circuits do.
As for trusting a plumber........
I think there should be a regulation on that LOL
I can just see it in the regs, before anything else on page 1. Regulation 000. Thou shalt disregard the evil spoutings of thy heating installer for verily he is nay more than a spark with no brains and he will lead you from the path of righteousness and adherence to the regs. Yea verily Sparkys are God's chosen tradesmen

Reply to is it a regulation to cross bond the heating pipes under the boiler? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock