Discuss Is it ok to put a a normal plug on the end of an external security light? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ive bought a new solar 300w metal outside light complete with cable; with Live, Neutral & Earth wires, (I don’t know what the cable size is as it doesn’t say). The new light is a metal square type with sensor, replacing an old halogen one.
I want to use a cable connector to extend the cable as its not long enough; then put a plug on it with a 3 or 5 amp fuse.
I noticed when taking the old one down that the earth wire in the plug was not connected; just coiled to one side in the plug.
Er… I thought all metal outside lights should be earthed?.
So, if after using the cable connector (which will be inside the garage along with the metal clad socket outlet already there); do I connect the earth wires or not?
I’m a fairly capable 73 year old female, but would appreciate help from better informed folk.
Many thanks ?.

Ive bought a new solar 300w metal outside light complete with cable; with Live, Neutral & Earth wires, (I don’t know what the cable size is as it doesn’t say). The new light is a metal square type with sensor, replacing an old halogen one.
I want to use a cable connector to extend the cable as its not long enough; then put a plug on it with a 3 or 5 amp fuse.
I noticed when taking the old one down that the earth wire in the plug was not connected; just coiled to one side in the plug.
So, if after using the cable connector (which will be inside the garage along with the metal clad socket outlet already there); do I connect the earth wires or not?
I’m a fairly capable 73 year old female, but would appreciate help from better informed folk.
Many thanks ?.

If the lamp is double insulated then it does not require an earth connection. The symbol for this is a square within a square.

Irrespective of whether the load need an earth (CPC) or not, the earth wire in a plug should always be connected!

Some lights are double-insulated, so there are tow berries between any touchable parts and ant live conductors, each of which can isolate the operating voltage. However, as a rule then metal things should be earthed and if there is an earth terminal, it should be used.

If you extend you light in 3-core cable and use a plug with 3A or 5A fuse it should be fine. Only concern is outdoors that UV light will degrade many cables, so you are best to go with "pond flex" or this sort of tough rubber sheathed cable:

Reply to Is it ok to put a a normal plug on the end of an external security light? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net