Discuss Is this a record in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
2 hours to replace a number plate light bulb. corroded screws meant stripping out the tailgate internal panel, dissing the lights and locking mech, removing the 4 nuts holding the external plastic light housing. bench work then, using multitool, narrow-nose pliers, WD40 and any other bits that came to mind, remove rusty screws, cut wire to light, clean out light fitting, fit bulb, reassemble, solder wires and heat shrink, refit light with 4mm nuts and bolts, fit back in tailgate, rebuild all the bits stripped out. glad i'm not an auto spark. :eek:

Sympathies Tel ... fwiw you have me for company (joy of older cars).

I bet there are horror stories around the Halfords £5 bulb replacement service :)

2 hours to replace a number plate light bulb. corroded screws meant stripping out the tailgate internal panel, dissing the lights and locking mech, removing the 4 nuts holding the external plastic light housing. bench work then, using multitool, narrow-nose pliers, WD40 and any other bits that came to mind, remove rusty screws, cut wire to light, clean out light fitting, fit bulb, reassemble, solder wires and heat shrink, refit light with 4mm nuts and bolts, fit back in tailgate, rebuild all the bits stripped out. glad i'm not an auto spark. :eek:
Your cars not an Audi is it ? Audi have a habit of using cheap nasty screws in theirs. God to do the same with mine. I replaced the screws with stainless steel Allen key screws

Your cars not an Audi is it ? Audi have a habit of using cheap nasty screws in theirs. God to do the same with mine. I replaced the screws with stainless steel Allen key screws
it's a toyota hiace. 12 years old. some of the self-tappers used are diabolical. a pozi #1 is too small and a pozi#2 is too big. either way, the head of the screw will not fit any screwdriver known outside japan and the screws are hardened steel, so drilling the head off is not an option.

mine is OK.like the mirrors.none of this fancy will break down electric shyte to adjust. arm out the window and tug 'em job. windows... prehistoric winder handle to operate. engine management is my right foot.

Reply to Is this a record in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net