Discuss Is this a switch in the neutral instead of the live? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thank you to all who have tried to help. I am not going to justify my actions anymore. I was there and know the circumstances.

If anyone has any experience of the symptoms experienced with switches in neutral cables on lighting circuits that do not have an earth please share your thoughts and experience.

Thank you.

From what you say, sounds like it is switched on the neutral. I had a problem, light not working. Used a non touch voltage tester got a voltage, switched on-voltage disappeared! Magic! Thought about it, got my two pole voltage tester which showed <12v. So switch on light and it just soaks up the apparent voltage (cat II fitting) Just saying as to how non contact voltage detectors can confuse, luckily I had an earth to test to. Where are the switch and supply junctioned and terminated under the floorboards I suppose?

Don't start the job if there are children running amok, it makes it dangerous for them and you.
Politely talk to the parents and arrange for the children to be removed whilst you are working.

Hi Dave,
This is the difference between being onsite assessing the situation moment by moment and trying to describe the situation to others after.
I put my hopup up across a kitchen entrance to create a physical barrier and the initial investigation is to check the bulb and light fitting for any obvious problem. The light fitting is an easy reach for me, but out of reach to the kids, so that gives a chance to assess if the children will say behind the barrier or ignore it without creating any danger to them or me.
Actually, the kids stayed behind the hopup, and by the time I had had eliminated the bulb as the problem and had a look at the fitting, the kids had got bored watching me and went back to the TV.
Mum was around but could not stay with the kids all the time.
Now I have to decide whether to proceed or not, and since the problem is likely to be:
1) Faulty switch
2) Damaged cable in voids
3) Loose connection (most likely).
Since loose connections create heat and there is a fire risk, and the kids have not crossed the barrier and now wandered off, I began investigation.
The kids did not cross the barrier at any time and were never close to me while I was working.
Had the situation been a fault in the living room light, that would have been a completely different matter and required different actions to keep the kids and me safe.

From what you say, sounds like it is switched on the neutral. I had a problem, light not working. Used a non touch voltage tester got a voltage, switched on-voltage disappeared! Magic! Thought about it, got my two pole voltage tester which showed <12v. So switch on light and it just soaks up the apparent voltage (cat II fitting) Just saying as to how non contact voltage detectors can confuse, luckily I had an earth to test to. Where are the switch and supply junctioned and terminated under the floorboards I suppose?

Yes, it can’t be a switch in the permanent live as there is no permanent live at the switch, so the switch has to be in the neutral.

Also, the GS38 voltage detector indicates the permanent live is not on the red cable in the ceiling rose, so the permanent live for this circuit is down the black cable, so, for this circuit, live and neutral are reversed.

But I thought you said you had found the fault? I'm confused.
Daz43

Either stare at kids long enough to scare them away or give them an IR test.

One of the students gave himself an IR test back when I was in training. Someone else had the croc clips and he did not understand what he was meant to be doing, so he decided to hold one end of the wire being tested to the tester lead with one hand, and the other end of the wire to the other tester lead with his other hand and pressed the test button with his elbow. It hurt.

But I thought you said you had found the fault? I'm confused.
Daz43

The fault I was there to fix was the light not working. That was down to loose connections and is solved.

The fact that some of the lighting have the switch in the neutral cable, and the permanent live to the light I was working on is coming in on the black cable is something to be notified to the landlord for them to address. So, there is an installation fault, but that is going to require further work to address it.

I was confused about readings I was getting during investigation but I am now clear on what is going on.

The fault I was there to fix was the light not working. That was down to loose connections and is solved.

The fact that some of the lighting have the switch in the neutral cable, and the permanent live to the light I was working on is coming in on the black cable is something to be notified to the landlord for them to address. So, there is an installation fault, but that is going to require further work to address it.

I was confused about readings I was getting during investigation but I am now clear on what is going on.
So you are going to waltz off leaving the live and neutral reversed then??

Reply to Is this a switch in the neutral instead of the live? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net