Discuss Is this Fuse Box Legal? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

They may have had FIRE on their mind when they put the cable in as it looks like LSF !

It looks like it is two rings from the updated pic, and the cable from chock block to CU seems like 4mm2 (unless its just thicker conductor insulation), so it wouldnt be that bad in that sence really, still load of crap....

Last edited:
Go to your local council and ask to talk to public protection department or the environmental health department.
they will issue him with an improvement notice which he must obey to or they will take him to court.

Then stop paying rent till he sorts it out.

Post your location and I will send you the email address for the public protection department you need to be in touch with.

If he's a domestic electrician doing work like this he must be registered or notify to LABC which clearly he has not done. If he's registered then go to the body he's registered with and show them this picture, if he is anregistered electrician then he won't be after you do this!

If you need anymore help then pm me and I will be happy to assist

Then stop paying rent till he sorts it out
Bad advice, the tenant has no legal right to withhold rent, doing this could result in you being evicted and made homeless. Furthermore it could wreck your credit rating and if the landlord wanted to he could tell others that you stopped paying for no reason. This could affect your future housing prospects

Hi All,

Thanks again for all your posts.

We have contacted the council and we have someone coming round to check it next week.

We contacted the agent again on the request of the council asking for something to be done as we still think its unsafe (didn’t mention this web site), we also asked about the windows they fitted (that has holes under the frames but that’s a different story!)

They sent our comments to the landlord, got back home the other night and there was an eviction notice on the door mat, can't say we are too sad about it, but want to make sure there is an improvement order on the property before we go, wouldn’t want any new tenants getting hurt or worse.

We did have the notice checked over and its all legal so we have no come back, which wasn't a shock, looking for a smaller and newer place to rent this time!
Will let you know what the person from the council says :25:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

Thanks again for all your posts.

We have contacted the council and we have someone coming round to check it next week.

We contacted the agent again on the request of the council asking for something to be done as we still think its unsafe (didn’t mention this web site), we also asked about the windows they fitted (that has holes under the frames but that’s a different story!)

They sent our comments to the landlord, got back home the other night and there was an eviction notice on the door mat, can't say we are too sad about it, but want to make sure there is an improvement order on the property before we go, wouldn’t want any new tenants getting hurt or worse.

We did have the notice checked over and its all legal so we have no come back, which wasn't a shock, looking for a smaller and newer place to rent this time!
Will let you know what the person from the council says :25:

I probably shouldn't say this but it sounds like moving out is probably in your best interest. When you're viewing your next property, take a look at the fuse box and fingers crossed you'll see a neater, safer solution - if not its unlikely to be your next home.

Good luck

Looks like you now have 2 lollipop rings there, and either a shower or cooker circuit that's been connected via this external connector strip...

Couple that to all the other discrepancies, and there is more than a case against this landlord on safety issues, and i would imagine a decent case against the agents as well. Not as if they were unaware of a safety issue, they should have been covering there own arse and making approaches to the landlord to rectify the situation...

Looks like you now have 2 lollipop rings there, and either a shower or cooker circuit that's been connected via this external connector strip...

Couple that to all the other discrepancies, and there is more than a case against this landlord on safety issues, and i would imagine a decent case against the agents as well. Not as if they were unaware of a safety issue, they should have been covering there own arse and making approaches to the landlord to rectify the situation...

I agree and think that since the OP has been evicted from his home, he should be doing all he can to make their lives as uncomfortable as he can ..... once he is safely settled in another home that is !!!

- - - Updated - - -

Bad advice, the tenant has no legal right to withhold rent, doing this could result in you being evicted and made homeless. Furthermore it could wreck your credit rating and if the landlord wanted to he could tell others that you stopped paying for no reason. This could affect your future housing prospects

Aye .... that's bang on bonny lad. ;)

Reply to Is this Fuse Box Legal? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net