Discuss is this normal or are these cowboys? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

Andrew77

I've just had electricians in to do a whole house rewire. I think his intention was to have 4 guys on the job but as it turned out they always seemed to be away on other jobs. In the end they rushed the work to get finished on the last day. The guys attitude is that the job is complete but the fact is there's alot of unfinished and badly done stuff. He wanted paying for the work that was done but I told him I wouldn't pay until it was complete, he was rather put out. I read alot of internet that told me they would be testing the work when it was done, I asked him about this and he said they test as they go along, is that normal? I'm worried I'll get to the end of this and be expected to pay without receiving the paperwork I'm due. I picked this guy because he seemed genuine and at the price I'm paying I was expecting a gold class service. Also they never fixed the conduits into the chases, would it be normal practice to leave these flapping around for the plasterer to fix in? Finally, I daren't ask if they bothered to earth bond the water, would that normally be part of a house rewire?

Sorry to come on here and fire of a load of questions like this. It's just really hard to look up all the answers I'm looking for in my phone as I have no internet connection at home. Thanks in advance for reassurance that this all sounds normal, our warnings that I need to be careful about when I actually pay this guy.
Andrew

Hi - good idea not to make final payment until the job is complete. But progress payments are usual. It does depend on your contract with him, which can be verbal. Some things can be tested as they go along as there are dead tests, but live tests are done when it's, well, live. At the end you are due both an Electrical Installation Certificate (about 5 pages long) and notification to your local building office inspectors. Have you confirmed the contractor is registered on the competent persons list? Home - http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/

In terms of the quality of the installation work, it would be easier to comment with some nice pics. But I would always fix conduit and leave nothing to chance with the plasterer :)

Edit - yes, bonding to gas and water are a mandatory part of a rewire. It is not complete or safe without it.

I've just had electricians in to do a whole house rewire. I think his intention was to have 4 guys on the job but as it turned out they always seemed to be away on other jobs. In the end they rushed the work to get finished on the last day. The guys attitude is that the job is complete but the fact is there's alot of unfinished and badly done stuff. He wanted paying for the work that was done but I told him I wouldn't pay until it was complete, he was rather put out. I read alot of internet that told me they would be testing the work when it was done, I asked him about this and he said they test as they go along, is that normal? I'm worried I'll get to the end of this and be expected to pay without receiving the paperwork I'm due. I picked this guy because he seemed genuine and at the price I'm paying I was expecting a gold class service. Also they never fixed the conduits into the chases, would it be normal practice to leave these flapping around for the plasterer to fix in? Finally, I daren't ask if they bothered to earth bond the water, would that normally be part of a house rewire?

Sorry to come on here and fire of a load of questions like this. It's just really hard to look up all the answers I'm looking for in my phone as I have no internet connection at home. Thanks in advance for reassurance that this all sounds normal, our warnings that I need to be careful about when I actually pay this guy.
Andrew
Sounds like a fix and foxtrot oscar outfit to me

I would put together a snagging list and send it to them. Let them come back and complete the works on the snagging list and stipulate that you will pay once its completed, proof that building control have been notified and you have a copy of the test certificate. Some people use the certificate as a bit of a bargaining tool in case the customer doesn't want to cough up...But if the electrician has it in black and white that payment will be forthcoming once work is to your satisfaction, building control have been notified and you have your cert in your hand I cant see why there should be an issue.

He is required to issue an Electrical Installation Certificate to you the person ordering the work. He may not withold this irregardless of payment as @hightower correctly observes "dont let him use it as a bargaining chip". Testing is required as work progresses to ensure wiring is ok. But at the end there is a full set of tests one being "dead" tests the other being live tests. Then the EIC is issued to you. Bonding to all services should be noted on the EIC as well. i.e. gas oil water. Plastering is a matter for the contract you have entered into. I stipulate I will fill to within 2mm of the surface, and you must get a plasterer to finish.

whereabouts in the UK?. it might be advisable to get an electrician to give the job a quick check over. one of us might be close to you and be able to assist.

I don't think there is anything to comment on here, as the OP hasn't really given us anything to speculate about, except some lose conduit. And as he was 'last seen' yesterday at 9.30pm, one would expect some feedback from your responses, even if it was from his phone.

I would normally expect to have been paid before I had time to complete the certificate.

I don't think there is anything to comment on here, as the OP hasn't really given us anything to speculate about, except some lose conduit. And as he was 'last seen' yesterday at 9.30pm, one would expect some feedback from your responses, even if it was from his phone.

I would normally expect to have been paid before I had time to complete the certificate.

Yeah sorry, I was too busy making good all the places where they smashed holes in everything. Meant to reply yesterday but, it is hard from this phone where it keeps crashing all the time.

Thanks for the advice.

I did a snagging list, but the guy didn't like that at all, he's begrudgingly coming back to rectify a few things, and I haven't even included half of the problems. Cause I'm made to feel bad, I'm dealing with most of it myself.

I am worried this certificate will be hard to get though. I never got a schedule of works at the beginning because apparently there wasn't time (there was about 4 weeks). So I'm not sure that the guy really plays by the rules.

I guess what I was wanting to check is, is feeling like you've been raped normal for a rewire note I expect the holes, dust and disruption, but is missed sockets, loose back boxes and no final test normal on a job of this size.

At least I know that I should be expecting that paperwork before I pay, according to most of you.

Wouldn't mind seeing an internal pic of the CU, often a good indicator to the standard of work.

Two sides to every story and all that. I am not implying that the op is wrong in his/her assumptions that the work is in some way sub standard or incomplete. But I do here alarm bells when I see the "price" of the job mentioned several times along with gold plated ect ect. Rewires can often by time consuming and do require the company doing the work to outlay £££ to just get the 1st stage of the work completed.
Maybe if the op did actually post some pictures of the problem areas, A picture of the inside of the consumer unit (Fuse board) would also give us all a decent idea of where you are at with this job.

Yeah sorry, I was too busy making good all the places where they smashed holes in everything. Meant to reply yesterday but, it is hard from this phone where it keeps crashing all the time.

I guess what I was wanting to check is, is feeling like you've been raped normal for a rewire note I expect the holes, dust and disruption, but is missed sockets, loose back boxes and no final test normal on a job of this size.

At least I know that I should be expecting that paperwork before I pay, according to most of you.

No offense but You complained about holes in the first paragraph in your post then noted that you expected them further on in your post. (my bold)

Re-wires in general are very disruptive and dependent on the nature of the building fabric can be very messy and often require quite a bit of bashing about. Its down to your contractual agreement who and how the make good repairs are done. I usually do at least a bond fill of all chasing out (agreed as extra in the cost of the job) ready for a top skim of finish. This way I can ensure that all the boxes, conduit and fixings are secure and covered as required.

So in answer to your question, yes there should be no loose back boxes, missing sockets (assuming these missing sockets where agreed to be installed originally) or conduit and yes you should receive an appropriate completion certificate of inspection and test results for the install.

Here is a photo of the inside of the CU as suggested (hopefully). It was easy to get inside as they kindly stripped the threads of the closure screws.

I think I've been misunderstood slightly here. I'm not angry about ask the access demolition, I was expecting it, and I even said to the guy- "do what you need to do to get through".

Snagging now complete, I say complete but some things still weren't done, but I done have the spirit to complain again. At least they've left me with work I can do myself ' no, you mustn't touch electrics! It's against the law', you know what... When its this hard to get someone else to do it right what do they expect.

The guy is asking for payment before certificate and part P being issued to me. At least I know that's not the way round it should be. I seriously doubt whether I would get s**t in terms of documentation of I paid first. The invoice looks like it was written by a child.

View attachment 35077

View attachment 35078

The inside does look a bit of a mess. The cables entering the CU to the left have no grommet/gland to prevent abrasion with the metal knockout and to maintain the IP rating. Looks the same from the cables entering the back of the CU, should have some grommet strip, and probably from the top. I cant see any cables terminated to suggest if the gas & water services have been bonded (these may be terminated o/s the CU)? There is something strange with the cable terminated into the first MCB on the right? A pictured panned back a bit and including the top of the CU would be useful.

Although the tidiness of cables terminated inside a CU, doesn't suggest the installation has not be carried out correctly etc, it does show a lack of pride by the installer. But I've seen worse.

Is your installer a member of a scheme?

PS a picture of the front of the CU, including any labels would also be useful.

That is a poor install for a "rewire", some circuits are clearly existing. The first cpc on the right of the earth bar is tinned copper wrapped in tape. The knock out to the back leaves conductors exposed to a combustible surface. No mechanical protection to the left side entry cables.
Sorry to say and I know people work to different standards but that is a rough job.
I too have been looking at the first circuit conductor trying to make it out, looks existing as someone has marked it, does it tally to the tinned cpc, is it rubber?
Op what does the first circuit do, the one by the main switch.

Last edited:
Here is a photo panted back a bit, one of the front with the labels (I can just about read them) and one of where the earth seems to split - one goes to the earth stake outside, one into the box and one into the ceiling somewhere. I don't suppose there's any way of telling if the water is earth bonded? I don't have gas. I'd I asked the electrician he would tell me they did it but I don't think I trust him.

There will be 1 old circuit which is the old cooker, the new one is in a different room, the old cable is to come out in a few weeks time, so bit worth renewing.

View attachment 35080

View attachment 35081

View attachment 35082

Oh dear, doesn't look very good. Where is the CU in relation to that first pic? A picture slightly panned out of that first shot would be useful.

Being in a scheme may be a good thing, for you. Sharp intake of breath. It's very easy for us to sit here and criticise other peoples 'work' or standards, but I've seen neater bowls of spaghetti.

Reply to is this normal or are these cowboys? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock