Discuss Isolator overheating in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

stidge

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi ! Situation is this , 10mm t&e approx run 10 M , 10-10.5kw Shower, 60898 40 amp , I recently( February) replaced isolator due to overheating( neutral load side) . Installed a mid price range (45a)new one , made sure off good tight connections , but now have same problem overheating load neutral side again , any advice, do I need to refit better quality isolator or could there be a fault with shower unit? Had this numerous times and just replaced isolator as loose connections, arching are common problems! Cheers

Hi ! Situation is this , 10mm t&e approx run 10 M , 10-10.5kw Shower, 60898 40 amp , I recently( February) replaced isolator due to overheating( neutral load side) . Installed a mid price range (45a)new one , made sure off good tight connections , but now have same problem overheating load neutral side again , any advice, do I need to refit better quality isolator or could there be a fault with shower unit? Had this numerous times and just replaced isolator as loose connections, arching are common problems! Cheers
are you sure?...

did you `rattle` the cable about in the terminal and check again?...chances are after the strands have spread & bedded down the terminal screw will go at least another 1 1/2 turns....

you will know when its there....

loose connection in the shower or shower switch???

These 10.5KW and above showers are just a joke anyway. No-one really needs a shower rating of that size. Can't really see any point in the things being over 8.5 to 9KW max!! The shower unit i am using here, is 4.7KW and it's delivers more than enough hot water than i can bare!!

As for the 45A isolator switch, use Crabtree, MK, or other good quality units on high current accessories.

Thanks very much for all replies lads, I will fit better quality one and double check tightness etc, cheers

Best shower Ive been in is 6.9kW.

water pressure is 6 Bar though....

fitted a 10.8 the other day and it was pathetic

what folk completely and utterly fail to realise is that increasing the wattage / power of an electric shower is only of benefit if the water pressure is good enough to make use of the higher rating.
otherwise its just a boiling hot dribble lol.

what folk completely and utterly fail to realise is that increasing the wattage / power of an electric shower is only of benefit if the water pressure is good enough to make use of the higher rating.

But a lower wattage shower will not give the same water temperature as a higher wattage shower for the same water flow !!
This is where higher wattage showers are better as you can have higher flow and hotter water. I have never come across a shower that gives sufficiently hot water at max water flow.

But a lower wattage shower will not give the same water temperature as a higher wattage shower for the same water flow !!
This is where higher wattage showers are better as you can have higher flow and hotter water. I have never come across a shower that gives sufficiently hot water at max water flow.

i have never seen any electric shower of any wattage thats anywhere near as good as a power or mixer shower which is due to having pumped water supplies.
to get the most out of any increased wattage you need a correspondingly good water pressure

i have never seen any electric shower of any wattage thats anywhere near as good as a power or mixer shower which is due to having pumped water supplies.
to get the most out of any increased wattage you need a correspondingly good water pressure

I take it you mean flow as opposed to pressure.

Like electricity, volts are no good without amps.

Not an epic fail (as you like to point out according to your signature) just confused I guess ; )

Last edited:
i'll stick to my jacuzzi bath. how the hell do you smoke a smoke and drink a JD in a bloody shower, let alone read the paper!.

I just wanted to point out that the whole lot of you are sounding like a bunch of plumbers.

Nuff said.:dita:

Oh dear,beware of doctors wearing rubber gloves,a boiling hot dribble is a classic sign of prostate trouble. lol

Well i defy anyone to use my 4.7KW shower unit and come out saying that the water flow wasn't strong enough and that the water wasn't hot enough. It delivers more than enough of both!! Jesus, I'd be burning the skin off my flesh with a 10.5KW unit!!

I take it you mean flow as opposed to pressure.

im fairly sure one leads to the other

Like electricity, volts are no good without amps.

thanks for the physics lesson

Not an epic fail (as you like to point out according to your signature) just confused I guess ; )

i pride myself on the fail free nature of my posts but thanks for the heads up.

your put down would have had more gravitas if it didnt take you an hour later to edit it in.
;-)

your put down would have had more gravitas if it didnt take you an hour later to edit it in.
;-)

Flow does not indicate pressure or visa versa. You could have 26psi at the shower bit if the filter is partially blocked you will have insufficient flow.

I'm pleased you appreciated the physics lesson. I covered it at school so am more than pleased to help.

The fail reference was in response to your signature. You clearly like to point out other peoples fails. Every one makes mistakes and some don't like it being pointed out do they?

It took me about an hour to reply but it has taken you 16 hours to reply. Not sure what your point is other than to point out that you are slower than me : ) : ) : )

Reply to Isolator overheating in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock