Discuss Issuing a danger notice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

leep82

-
Arms
Reaction score
I am due to finish on a job today where i have been doing some remedial works following an EICR ( done by another electrician ). Its a residential block consisting of several bedsits and communal areas. In the kitchen/utility there is a washing machine and a dryer both fed via a coin meter.

Part of the remedial work was to provide a means of earth to both of these meters as it had been picked up there was no cpc present. On closer inspection it turns out that although the meters look very much like a they are metalic housing they are infact not, and do not provide any means of an earth within themselves.

When i was looking at the meters my attention was instantly drawn to the shoddy install method ( will try to post pic ) and the fact that it seems live terminals could be accessed. Unfortunately the landlord of said property is more than happy to have let a resident have a play with the electrical installation and to be honest i cant get away from the property quick enough.

As you can hopefully see from the pictures his resident DIYer has cobbled together a form of barrier with some trunking to remove any immediate risk. Although the trunking lid can be removed without the use of a tool and the terminals accessed again. I am debating as to whether or not to issue a danger notice just to cover myself particularly as the landlord is happy for his DIYer to try and make a more permanent barrier once i have left site. Having seen his work i dont have much confidence in him. Is a danger notice the way to go im asking myself if im being OTT but at the end of the day as the last electrician to work on the system if somthing happened im sure people would be all to quick to point the finger in my direction

IMG_4851.JPG

IMG_4852.JPG

IMG_4853.JPG

IMG_4854.JPG

IMG_4855.JPG

Not much of an EICR if the other Electrician didn't note the bare copper at the meter position, typical of a Landlord not to get remedial work done correctly. How much work have you actually done so far on the remedial work?

Not much of an EICR if the other Electrician didn't note the bare copper at the meter position, typical of a Landlord not to get remedial work done correctly. How much work have you actually done so far on the remedial work?
To be honest i think the bare copper has been made worse since the DIYer has had a little play with it. Although prior to this there was nothing to stop sombody sticking a screwdriver up and onto the terminals. Or even a little kiddie getting there fingers up there

Write an email to the landlord explaining that additional work is required and the costa which will be added to the agreed costs.....

Write an email to the landlord explaining that additional work is required and the costa which will be added to the agreed costs.....
Im not here after today. Im subcontracting to the company that carried out the EICR. All im concerned about is covering myself when i walk away at the end of today. I dont know whats been agreed regards prices. Im also being asked to bond the mains water although it seems it already is bonded just not visable. The new bond i am being asked to install wont be within 600mm of the stop tap as nobody can find it! So although it doesnt necessarily comply at the minute niether will what theyre asking me to do

Im not here after today. Im subcontracting to the company that carried out the EICR. All im concerned about is covering myself when i walk away at the end of today. I dont know whats been agreed regards prices. Im also being asked to bond the mains water although it seems it already is bonded just not visable. The new bond i am being asked to install wont be within 600mm of the stop tap as nobody can find it! So although it doesnt necessarily comply at the minute niether will what theyre asking me to do
I suppose at the end of the day, as you are the Sub Contractor it's going to be your neck on the line, contact these people with your concerns.
http://www.aele.org/law/2009all06/2009-06MLJ101.pdf

This looks like a tenant's live pass apparatus with trunking visual obfuscation. You might get more response from the landlord if you say someone has set up to bridge the meter.

Reply to Issuing a danger notice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net