Discuss Issuing domestic certificates in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi all. I have been out of the loop on domestic electrics for a few years (working as a contract manager) a friend has asked me to rewire their house. Where do I stand with issuing completion certs, notification to local authority e.t.c.
I am 17th edition, 2391 test and inspect and fully time served C&G, but I am not NIC or Napit. I am 58 years old so have plenty of experience so the actual rewire is not a problem, just not sure about certification. Interested to hear your thoughts.

You will need to issue an EIC on completion and if in England or Wales notify via LABC, so you will need to pay the fee upfront and allow time for their inspections.....

Give your LABC a ring and ask them what options you have. One of mine has three options... scheme membership and no involvement from them, prove you're a capable spark to them and pay less or average Joe mode where you pay a larger amount and they contract someone to inspect etc.

And obviously it goes without saying, the last two, you need to inform them before you start work.

There is also third party certification, so if you've got a friend in the trade who is on a scheme and they are authorised by their scheme for third party certification, they could take the place of the LABC, but obviously if they are a mate, it has it's advantages as you'd probably pay less.

I would speak to LABC first and see what they require and how much it will cost. TBH for a rewire the cost shouldn't be too bad all things considered.

Great advice many thanks. I am looking into joining Napit, should be the best route for me. My local LABC want £190 per application so three jobs and I will have made my money back.

Just remember you'll need PL insurance, MFT to add to your list. Stroma is cheaper, and my Elecsa fee this year was £515 incl. That's if you're going to set up as a business.

If I had a friend and he was likely to be not selling for a while,I don't think paying lots of needless cash for a council to tick a box would be high on my agenda:)

After all if you are competent,it would make a change to the vast majority that are still carried out regardless ;)

thinking laterally here.

1. do the job as an assessment for your scheme membership. once you have been assessed and passed, then notify through your chosen scheme provider.

2. as a rewire on your own is a pain in the arse, see if you can partner up ( if only for this 1 job ) with an electrician who is a scheme member. he can then notify through his scheme. benefit here is you won't need the initial outlay of test gear and all the paperwork and costs that go with scam membership

Reply to Issuing domestic certificates in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net