Discuss It's the Plasterers Fault This Time! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Paul.M

-
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
Over the past 2 weeks I've had a plumber drilling into a 4mm rmf, Tuesday a home owner putting a picture nail into a 2.5mm rmf and this evening a plasterer putting a 4 inch fixing screw into a sw feed/sw live!
IMAG0187.jpg
Whoops :):):). He tried to cover it up but was found out when the elderly couple noticed that the kitchen light would not turn off. Pity I didn't take a photo of his nice new ceiling after I finished with it trying to find the fault and replacing the switch wire. Home owner is giving him a call in the morning to tell him to come back and patch up what I've done (saves me doing it) and also show him my bill which is more than what he charged to do the job in the first place! Oh well, I wonder what other tradesmen will give me more work next week? Seem to be getting this type of call out quite often recently.

Did this happen where a ceiling joist was drilled for cable/s to pass through? If so how far from the bottom of the joist did you drill? If less than 50mm then its a card he could play against you...........

Recently had a kitchen fitter manage neutral/earth faults on four different circuits - including through an SWA.

Did this happen where a ceiling joist was drilled for cable/s to pass through? If so how far from the bottom of the joist did you drill? If less than 50mm then its a card he could play against you...........

How did you conclude that Paul had anything to do with the running of the cable??? ;)

:thumbsup

Point taken short. All i was trying to highlight was that when it comes to cash and paying for damage etc then emptyheads like mr thistle here with his board screws will just look for avenues out of stuff........

Point taken short. All i was trying to highlight was that when it comes to cash and paying for damage etc then emptyheads like mr thistle here with his board screws will just look for avenues out of stuff........

The person responsible for running that cable may have been a plumber trying to replace a cable with a broken Neutral? lol

Last edited by a moderator:
No Glenn it was in-between the joists resting on top of the plaster board so no problems with that one. Not the sparkys fault, its the plasterer putting a long plaster fixing screw into the void and not a joist. Fare enough he double boarded the ceiling so he didn't know where the joists are but trying to cover it up by snapping the screw and skimming over it for the 80 year old home owner is just not on. That's the reason why I took pictures with the same type of screw and writing out a report so she can claim my bill and all remedial work off him and its tighter than a ducks a-hole if it goes to court (doubt it but you never know).

I hate this kind of stuff mate. Better to be open and honest about things like this as a mild rebuke is better than the other......It just goes to show the levels some folk stoop to....

I hate this kind of stuff mate. Better to be open and honest about things like this as a mild rebuke is better than the other......It just goes to show the levels some folk stoop to....
Yes mate totally agree. Only 2-3 weeks ago I posted up that I chiseled into a cable myself (first time since a junior) and ended up telling the customer and rewired that spured socket (that shouldn't have been there in the first place) free of charge just like a good tradesman should do. I'm old school rules, if I break it I pay for it, simple as that.

Went to second fix on a kitchen yesterday afternoon when les (one of the kitchen fitters) started moanin about burst pipes: The story went that they were called back to a job as a customer had complained about leaking joints. Turned out the customer had been installing bonding clamps improperly then had tried to force everything back to the wall resulting in the leak. les said he knew damn well those clamps wern`t on when they left the job after completion but would the homeowner admit it........would he chuff.....

should have used a nail. the cable would just have been pushed out of trhe way then. this is what happens when you let plasterers loose with anything more technical than a trowel.

should have used a nail. the cable would just have been pushed out of trhe way then. this is what happens when you let plasterers loose with anything more technical than a trowel.

Even then we have to put capping over the cable so they don't damage the cable, er I mean themselves ;).

Reply to It's the Plasterers Fault This Time! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net