Discuss Japan's electrical supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

edexlab

-
Arms
Reaction score
I was talking today to a colleague who went to Japan to do an install and he mentioned something which he said he'd never got round to researching. ...

He said the supply there was 200 volts
3 phase ,100v 1 phase, 50 or 60 Hz depending on region in the country

Yet when he tested the supply between lines and earth he got 100v to earth on 2 phases and nothing between 3rd phase and earth,
(between phases it was 200v)

This made him suspect something was wrong so he consulted a native electrician who said this was correct?

Does anybody know how this system works????
It's just for my own curiosity really I've looked online but have yet to find anything which explains it well

They use a 3 phase open delta system which got me confused the first time I was there. The attached picture should help explain.

Edit just notice you'd found out about the open delta.

Attachments

• Japan's electrical  supply image - EletriciansForums.net
    image.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
In the recovery after the war you had American and also European support, that is why you get some parts working to base American specs 110V 60Hz and so on and also 50Hz in other parts.

This is a brief explanation I found explaining the advantages/disadvantages also as the US had a large influence in rebuilding the country it's a system similar to their own split phase supply.

"Where the three-phase load is small relative to the total load, two individual transformers may be used instead of the three for a "full delta" or a three-phase transformer, thus providing a variety of voltages at reduced cost.
This is called "open-delta high-leg", and has a reduced capacity relative to a full delta."

Disadvantages;
" Phase balancing is not great, but it is not worse than split-phase system.

One of the phase-to-neutral voltage (phase 'B') is different from the other two. This can be fixed with an autotransformer, but that is an added expense.

Commonly there is a high-leg to neutral load limit.
One transformer manufacturer's page suggests that High-leg to neutral loading to not exceed 5% of transformer capacity."

Dear edexlab, Sintra and UK Meterman - Thank you for taking the time to answer my query. I have learned something from your experience. :)

Last edited:
Dear edexlab and Sintra, A supplementary question if I may - how are homes normally supplied? Do they have a 4 wire supply or something else?

Dear edexlab and Sintra, A supplementary question if I may - how are homes normally supplied? Do they have a 4 wire supply or something else?

i cant speak for japan but in the us im guessing 4wire L1,L2,N and E

they run on 110spn 220polyphase

I would imagine it is the way shanky has said with the voltages being 100V & 200V respectively.

Attachments

• Japan's electrical  supply image - EletriciansForums.net
    image.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 142
In the recovery after the war you had American and also European support, that is why you get some parts working to base American specs 110V 60Hz and so on and also 50Hz in other parts.

The US has not used 110, 220 volts since before WWII, it was raised to 115/230V before going to the current 120/240V standard, but then there is 208Y/120V, and 480Y/277V, 400/230V is way simpler but that is what happens because Edison's 110V DC was well established before AEG started peddling their 220V 50 HZ system, Westinghouse had make their AC distribution compatible with Edison's 110V lighting, BTW Tesla was in favor of 60 HZ, 25 & 50HZ was used in the past in the US before settling on 60 HZ.

i cant speak for japan but in the us im guessing 4wire L1,L2,N and E

they run on 110spn 220polyphase

Not true, 110/ 220 is obsolete in the US, there 120/240V, single phase, 120/240V 3 phase (some power companies are not supplying it to new customers anymore) I do not care for it because of the 208V high leg, 208Y/120V, and 480Y/277V, Canada uses 600Y/347V rather then 480Y/277V. The primary users of "110, 220" are DIY'ers, but then there are the idiots who write "110/208V'' on a panel circuit directory. :D

Not true, 110/ 220 is obsolete in the US, there 120/240V, single phase, 120/240V 3 phase (some power companies are not supplying it to new customers anymore) I do not care for it because of the 208V high leg, 208Y/120V, and 480Y/277V, Canada uses 600Y/347V rather then 480Y/277V. The primary users of "110, 220" are DIY'ers, but then there are the idiots who write "110/208V'' on a panel circuit directory. :D
i would be suprised if there is no 110/220 still in the usa it would be very expensive to change the whole country by such a small margin

between lines and earth he got 100v to earth on 2 phases and nothing between 3rd phase and earth,
(between phases it was 200v)

Then the three wires he measured were not three phases. Never mind whether it's corner, centre or side grounded, you cannot have two phases of a three-phase system that are 200V apart, each of which is 100V from another phase.

It must have been a split phase centre-grounded 100-0-100 V supply, like the US standard 120-0-120, and very occasionally in the UK 240-0-240. It could have been part of a 4-wire high-leg delta, where the high leg is 173V wrt earth, but that was not one of the three wires he tested.

Last edited:
i would be suprised if there is no 110/220 still in the usa it would be very expensive to change the whole country by such a small margin

There no 110 or 220V appliances built anymore, except for some China garbage, 120/240V has been the standard for many decades.

Ok got a bit closer to the truth today , spoke with the original bloke and another colleague,

The second guy remembers that when this polarity test was done between phases gave 200 v
Two of the phases individually to earth gave 110 ish volts and the third was much higher ,around 170v as Lucien described ,
So thanks for everyone's input on this !
It seems the first guy was a bit confused and forgot the detail but interesting none the less!

Reply to Japan's electrical supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock