JIB Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ECS) jib card

Discuss jib card in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Bradzz

JIB have sent me a ancillary operative card what the hell is that about. Problems problems. No qualifications on the back. Basically it says I'm an Electrical Labourer. Anyone else had this problem. The big con is going to get quite a lot of people next year. Now I have to sign up to NVQ 2356 before December 30th to allow me to complete yet another course. It's all getting a bit to much. I've been an electrician since 1985. What say you. I fully understand I'm going to have to suck it up and complete the course but I'm wondering if they have any more crazy stuff insight for us all.

yes i have had that card but i got a gold card as ive done my nvq 3

did you do the old apprentionship when you started out coz am sure you do not have to do it

JIB grading is a complete waste of time. The people who do the grading have been on the tools never stepped foot on a site. WTF do they know!!

suppose it depends on your qualifications.
i agree with the jib rating system with the only exception being sparks who qualified before the nvq3 came out (so providing they were classed as fully qualified then they should be now)

isit even worth hving anymore???????????? views please.. im doing my nvq at moment, but cant be arsed with all the stupid

- - - Updated - - -

stuff

Waste of time if we all need little cards in our wallets to let us know what we can and cant do and what qualifications we have got its a sad day if its come to that. I think the grading should be done people that come from the trade not a little boffin paper pusher telling me what my grading is. Complete waste of time have never and will never apply for a JIB card. Rant over

thats what i mean ive wired houses from scratch and then they wont me to write about health and safety and do an am2 test @ £600 which involves choosing correct cable etc.

and some companies are leaving the jib and the big companies

personally i would like to see the jib take over alltogether from all the part p scams.

one governing body
very small membership fees
qualifications suitably checked to prove competence (this alone should be enough to show clients are hiring suitably qualified electricians)
no more pointless yearly visits
no more schemes charging extortiante rates
no more Electrical Trainee
no more nic making up own rules
already established and easily recognised name and logo

I was pre nvq qualified so does that mean I turned up for 4 years and got my card Emmm no let me explain when I started my time in 1975 that was the year that you had to have your qualifications or no grading yep anybody before that got their electricians card then 2 years with a firm you could apply for your approved if they wanted you to me I had to sit my B approved course and after that serve 2 further years to get approved grade and if your employer did not think you were good enough they could put it off for 1 year and infact my gaffer did this to a guy who started a year before me so we got our approved cards at the same time

So whats changed well nothing really you still need to get the qualifications for a grade card but I must admit this seems to be fragmented in England with nobody serving their time and guys having to go around bagging qualification

Waste of time if we all need little cards in our wallets to let us know what we can and cant do and what qualifications we have got its a sad day if its come to that. I think the grading should be done people that come from the trade not a little boffin paper pusher telling me what my grading is. Complete waste of time have never and will never apply for a JIB card. Rant over

so yours is a completely neutral and objective opinion then lol ?
anyone would think you've had an application rejected ;-)

What is the problem here 36 years ago you needed qualifications and nothing has changed I am amazed that the people doing the ranting are saying I did not get my card because I did not have the qualification but I have been sparking for x years well sorry to say house wiring does not make you a spark I am not saying tough I am saying get the qualifications required the same as get a driving license before you can drive how hard can this be ?

personally i would like to see the jib take over alltogether from all the part p scams.

one governing body
very small membership fees
qualifications suitably checked to prove competence (this alone should be enough to show clients are hiring suitably qualified electricians)
no more pointless yearly visits
no more schemes charging extortiante rates
no more Electrical Trainee
no more nic making up own rules
already established and easily recognised name and logo
If only the JIB had teeth. Big, long, sharp, pointy teeth.
Dream on Trev

If only the JIB had teeth. Big, long, sharp, pointy teeth.
Dream on Trev

Trev I agree and have said it for years before the Schemies came about everybody was tied to the JIB or SJIB up here and whoe betide you if you turned up on a site without your card as I found to my cost when I started on a site with the company I served my time with Mathew Halls or Hollidays Halls as it was the gaffer said where is your card the chargehand said dont be silly he served his time with us on the government term contract but nope I had to bring my card in.

I think the JIB is the way to go for a licensed registered electricians system where electricians pay a small fee to be registered and that insurance companies or interested parties can access to check your credentials. You just have to look at the Part P review this should have exposed it for what it was instead the Schemies got involved and pilitically spun it into a fine tuning exercise why because it does not matter if it works or not they have too much too lose

Reply to jib card in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock