Discuss JIB - Correct application of travel time and overtime in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Peter Hartley

Hi there Guys

Just need some advice:

Example: Company office to site is a 4hr drive. we stay over during the week and return on Friday with another 4hr drive. Company provides vehicle and fuel. 170 miles.

1.>Should we get paid our normal hourly rate plus the ammount indicated in the Travel time tables or just the ammount in the travel time tables.

Ex Approved electrician rate - one way: (4*ÂŁ14.78) + (Travel time up to 75 miles) ÂŁ12.37 + (9*2.17) (2.17 for every 10 miles over 75) = ÂŁ91.02 ?

Or do we only get the ammount in the table without normal rate eg.:

(Travel time up to 75 miles) ÂŁ12.37 + (9*2.17) (2.17 for every 10 miles over 75) = ÂŁ31.91 ?

2.> Does the 4 hours normal hourly rate count towards overtime?. eg. if your time on site and time you spend traveling, surpasses 37.5 hours, do you get overtime OR does just your time on site count towards overtime?

Standard rate only, not countable as overtime.
E.g. 4 hours travel 8 hours on site = 11.5 @std and 1/2hr @ time and half
Or if on site a shorter time it's 7.5 @std plus whatever extra as std rate, but the have to count it as 7.5hours contracted so can't take time out of the other days to make up your 37.5.
E.g. 4 hours travel 5 hours on site = 7.5@std and 1.5 std. but the rest of the week anything over 7.5 hours is overtime @ time and a half

Standard rate only, not countable as overtime.
E.g. 4 hours travel 8 hours on site = 11.5 @std and 1/2hr @ time and half
Or if on site a shorter time it's 7.5 @std plus whatever extra as std rate, but the have to count it as 7.5hours contracted so can't take time out of the other days to make up your 37.5.
E.g. 4 hours travel 5 hours on site = 7.5@std and 1.5 std. but the rest of the week anything over 7.5 hours is overtime @ time and a half

Thanks for this, but can you maybe then shed light on the application of the "Travel time allowance tables?

They are for if your travelling to site daily, e.g. 20 miles as the crow flies from office is band 2 so you get something like 6 pound for the return trip. The travel time allowance is your pay for travelling to site, so you get the same whether the journey takes 20 mins or an hour.

Reply to JIB - Correct application of travel time and overtime in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net