JIB Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ECS) JIB Discussion

Discuss JIB Discussion in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

martinG

Hello,

Thought i would post my first thread on something that always baffles me.

I am a charge hand for electrical installs on big sites we get alot of sparks young and old working on them alot of them are a complete waste of time. How do they manage to get there JIB cards? I dont think the JIB are linked to City and Guilds to check quils and i dont think they check the applications!! Could someone enlighten me on how this 'JIB' works cause i have alway thought its a massive money making scheme!

Thanks

They do actually monitor qualifications and experience before they hand out jib cards, obviously they charge for the cards and a check up of health and safety every three years. I'd say it was just bad luck being lumbered with the numptys!

Hello,

Thought i would post my first thread on something that always baffles me.

I am a charge hand for electrical installs on big sites we get alot of sparks young and old working on them alot of them are a complete waste of time. How do they manage to get there JIB cards? I dont think the JIB are linked to City and Guilds to check quils and i dont think they check the applications!! Could someone enlighten me on how this 'JIB' works cause i have alway thought its a massive money making scheme!
Thanks

Thank your lucky stars that at least your not lumbered with the Electrical Trainee and now the 17 day wizz kid DI's on your projects. Though i am wondering how long that will be the case!! lol!!!

Thank your lucky stars that at least your not lumbered with the Electrical Trainee and now the 17 day wizz kid DI's on your projects. Though i am wondering how long that will be the case!! lol!!!

Sorry. Just have to say, some folks go on.
And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. Ad Infinitum.

And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And on. Ad Infinitum.

This just shows a lack of knowledge of how bad the industry is becoming how can you deskill an industry that is getting more complicated with new technology, now where's the dislike button

must agree with e54

Same here,

I find some of the young lads in the trade have an inflated opinion of their skills and ability they haven't started walking and they are trying to run

That's just to make sure the BeFuddled amongst us get's the message!!! lol!!!

I hate to say this, but some folks seem to feel they have a god given right to a protected profession. If you fall in this bracket you should've gone into the health or civil service.

Me? Thanks to Maggie killing off the industries where we actually made things and sold them abroad, I found myself in a dying industry. I decided to try and better myself.

What the heck is the problem with that? Maybe I didn't spend 5 years reading BS7671, probably because I picked it up in 6 months. Give us a break for christs sake lads.

Maybe I didn't spend 5 years reading BS7671, probably because I picked it up in 6 months.

you must be the only person on earth who can get to grips with the regs in 6 mths.
after 20 yrs in the game i still pick it up every week and find something new.
youre not doing yourself any favours to be honest.
and the old guard have every right to defend the skills base of a profession theyve worked their whole lives in.

you must be the only person on earth who can get to grips with the regs in 6 mths.

That'll be because I'm left handed and use both sides of my brain. I'm afraid the abusive comments to many newbies(?) etc. are doing my head in. This must be the only web site I've ever used where so many can patronise, persecute and offend so few, who, at the end of the day are only trying to find an answer. All because "their industry" is letting them down. I'm 1 of probably 50 skilled aluminium die technicians left in the UK. And the industry is dying. Who stands for me? I'll tell ya. Jack all. So now I've turned my head to electrics so I can be 1 of 50,000. And what do I get? Nowt but ferkin abuse.

I can still make a crackin' cappachino tho'!!

With that I'll bow out. Thank you for being so friendly and Goodnight.

like i said , youre not helping your cause with other forum members.

ps a left handed person uses the right hemisphere of the brain for problem solving , and vice versa for right handed.
maybe youre ambidextrous.
;-)

biff55

I used to do, and maybe I should go back to, helping folks with blue screen probs with their PC. Never once did I ridicule anyone for not understanding my instructions. I would help, cajole and nurture them. If push came to shove I'd get them on Skype and talk them through it. If that didn't work I'd use a method of controlling their PC to show them what I meant. At no point did I ever think "I'm better than you. Ha Ha!! Die creep." My objective was to help people, not belittle them.

Maybe I'm just a big wuss :(.

I hate to say this, but some folks seem to feel they have a god given right to a protected profession. If you fall in this bracket you should've gone into the health or civil service.

I agree that we are not a protected trade or profession but I think what needs to be defined and protected is what is qualified and a quick career change course don't cut it in my book as qualified and I'm sure a few others will agree

Me? Thanks to Maggie killing off the industries where we actually made things and sold them abroad, I found myself in a dying industry. I decided to try and better myself.

You complain about folks going " on And on. And on" then you dredge up Maggie killing off industries to show how blinkered you are, the unions picked a fight with the wrong person and came off worse how is that Maggie's fault. The unions wanted to bring down a government with their leaders taking large pay packets while their brothers were left on the picket line in poverty and ultimately to lose their jobs that was the nail in the coffin for the unions

What the heck is the problem with that? Maybe I didn't spend 5 years reading BS7671, probably because I picked it up in 6 months. Give us a break for christs sake lads.

So the key to being an electrician is just an ability to read BS7671 and you know it all and no doubt qualified means you have passed the C&G 2382 exam.

The OP was bemoaning the lack of skill on site and the fact that these operatives hold JIB cards this is something you don't find reading BS 7671 yet you take offence when someone mentions Electrical Trainee and 17 day DI's who can't admit how under qualified they are at least the 6 month skill centre sparks of the late 70's and 80's could admit where their knowledge and skill level was at when they came into the industry

If you want a break take the chip of your shoulder and realise that the course that promised the earth was mis-sold

Reply to JIB Discussion in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net