JIB Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ECS) JIB ECS

Discuss JIB ECS in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Been looking around at current jobs being advertised and have noticed that the majority of places are asking for Electricians to have there JIB/ECS card but the companies are not JIB and nowhere near paying the JIB rate or offering the associated so called perks, so why are they asking for the JIB/ECS card? Personally myself I think the JIB/ECS card scheme is a big money making scam and not worth the plastic the card is printed on, my reason for this is as follows, I did my full Electrical Apprenticeship when NVQ'S had just started to emerge, I didn't have to do one at the college I attended, so I completed my Apprenticeship, the year later attained my 2391 qualification, gained onsite experience in domestic, commercial, industrial and bespoke Electrical installs, during this time trained a number of Apprentices, more recently completed the 2394 and 2395 qualifications so I was upto date and refreshed my inspection and testing knowledge, will be doing my 2396 in May, all in all I've got over 20 years experience. But recently I was asked by my current employer to apply for my JIB/ECS card, even though the company is not a member and we do not do any site work, I was refused my Gold card because I did not have an NVQ 3! Now an engineer who has no where as much experience, knowledge or know how has got his Gold card no problem, he's never even done a DB change, single or three phase, he does not have his Inspection and Test qualifications, never trained an Apprenticeship, never done house bashing, Industrial work! I have been told I need my NVQ 3 or complete a Mature Cnmandidate Scheme, both of which are run by the JIB and both cost close to £1500-2000 to complete, why do I need and why should I have to get these qualifications just for me to get a Gold card to not receive all the benefits that I should receive if the company is JIB registered but it's not!!! Biggest con and scam going and the sooner something else is sorted out and another governing body makes a stand it's only going good to get worse!!

You can enter your qualifications into the application and they grade you with a card. If you want to go for the jobs that need or require or request one even if they shouldn't then you've just got to bow to it. Once you have it you can use it for identification wherever you need it. Takes blinkin' ages to get one so don't procrastinate!

NVQ 3 is pretty standard if you've done an apprentiship? Why didn't you ever do one? Normally you complete your NVQ3 then move on to the AM2 then JIB gold card!!!

It wasn't part of the course I did, I completed my Apprenticeship, got my 16th Edition and did my AM2, I rang the college I did my day release and asked them about it and there reply was the course I did did not require an NVQ to be completed. I'm not to fussed as I will never join the JIB or get a Gold Card as I think it's just a big scam, I've got over 20 years experience in various places and Installs so why do I need a portfolio to tell me I can do the job I've been doing for the last 20 years and have the privilege of paying £2000 to do it, I don't think so.

As for the grubby non JIB company tell them to shove it. If they are not paying JIB rates then it's hypocritical to ask for JIB card. Pity Unions are not big over in U.K. That ---- wouldn't happen here.

If I was going to work for a JIB company and get all the perks and correct wages then I probably would have a good think about it, but it just winds me up when places are asking for it and there not even JIB registered or give you the benefits or pay the wages the JIB state, it's all wrong.

I completed my Apprenticeship in 2000 and have all the certificates from college and the company I did my Apprenticeship with.

Been looking around at current jobs being advertised and have noticed that the majority of places are asking for Electricians to have there JIB/ECS card but the companies are not JIB and nowhere near paying the JIB rate or offering the associated so called perks, so why are they asking for the JIB/ECS card? Personally myself I think the JIB/ECS card scheme is a big money making scam and not worth the plastic the card is printed on, my reason for this is as follows, I did my full Electrical Apprenticeship when NVQ'S had just started to emerge, I didn't have to do one at the college I attended, so I completed my Apprenticeship, the year later attained my 2391 qualification, gained onsite experience in domestic, commercial, industrial and bespoke Electrical installs, during this time trained a number of Apprentices, more recently completed the 2394 and 2395 qualifications so I was upto date and refreshed my inspection and testing knowledge, will be doing my 2396 in May, all in all I've got over 20 years experience. But recently I was asked by my current employer to apply for my JIB/ECS card, even though the company is not a member and we do not do any site work, I was refused my Gold card because I did not have an NVQ 3! Now an engineer who has no where as much experience, knowledge or know how has got his Gold card no problem, he's never even done a DB change, single or three phase, he does not have his Inspection and Test qualifications, never trained an Apprenticeship, never done house bashing, Industrial work! I have been told I need my NVQ 3 or complete a Mature Cnmandidate Scheme, both of which are run by the JIB and both cost close to £1500-2000 to complete, why do I need and why should I have to get these qualifications just for me to get a Gold card to not receive all the benefits that I should receive if the company is JIB registered but it's not!!! Biggest con and scam going and the sooner something else is sorted out and another governing body makes a stand it's only going good to get worse!!

Had the same problem, I had a JIB Card for years, since early 80's last had it renewed in 2012 JIB ECS GOLD CARD Installation Electrician, came to renew it in 2016, and the JIB Say I can't have a JIB ECS Gold Card anymore, why...Because My Qualifications are not in the Format of an NVQ LEVEL 3.....hmm well back in my day there was no such animal as an NVQ , I started out as an apprentice at 15yrs of age,, I'm now 59. 60 in a few months, so I have alot of experience, Domestic, Commercial, Industrial, Underground Mining Electrician, and Marine Electrical work, currently Industrial, all my quals are City and Guilds 236 or EAL, and level 2 and 3, Kept them up to date over the years, 15th edition, 16th edition, 17th edition, 2391 etc, etc,
It wasn't part of the course I did, I completed my Apprenticeship, got my 16th Edition and did my AM2, I rang the college I did my day release and asked them about it and there reply was the course I did did not require an NVQ to be completed. I'm not to fussed as I will never join the JIB or get a Gold Card as I think it's just a big scam, I've got over 20 years experience in various places and Installs so why do I need a portfolio to tell me I can do the job I've been doing for the last 20 years and have the privilege of paying £2000 to do it, I don't think so.

I think your right, between the government and the JIB they have made it a money making scam,,and if you appeal, the first part is free, but the second part of the appeal process if they dont uphold the first part (which they never do) it will cost you £50, and so it goes on...it seems no one has stopped to think that for many of us in the trade/industry there were no such things as NVQ's we are not all young sparks in our 20's and 30's neither are many of the tutors in the colleges that teach our young electricians of the future, who them selves do not have NVQ's . I also heard that the schemes such as NICEIC AND NAPIT are not impressed with the JIB Ruling on this NVQ thing and Gold cards, basically the JIB Have denied a lot of guys from getting work on sites where Gold cards are required, and thrown a lot of their long service electricians on the scrap heap!! I for one would like to meet the person who dreampt up this idea.

Reply to JIB ECS in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net