Discuss JIB grading in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

It's very worrying to think as you've said £500 + 17th and join a scam (even though the JIB would only give a labourers card at the best an electricians) work in people's homes etc JIB graded sparks work on single phase, three phase and a multitude of other types of installations and not even allowed to work in a house. Makes no sense at all.

scary isnt it. i know who id rather have doing a domestic install. hopefully one day someone in the powers that be will have a brainwave and see the issue here.

back to the op, nvq3 for gold card nothing less these days im afraid, however you may have missed the boat for that as its changed and the new qual now incoparated with a mandotory AM2 as well.

I was issued with a red SJIB electricians card then got my green Approved card 2 years later always kept it updated and now it a gold holographic card with recognised apprenticship on it and flash it at every customer I can

Yeah I always keep mine up to date ,I think they're all the same colour now, mines gold Installation Technician and like you holographic card with recognised apprenticeship I wonder what the percentage there is that has apprenticeship mentioned on them? >
I was issued with a red SJIB electricians card then got my green Approved card 2 years later always kept it updated and now it a gold holographic card with recognised apprenticship on it and flash it at every customer I can

I have all the same quals as the op, but jib graded me as a level 2 trainee. Never bothered to get it upgraded and I like to give people's laugh when they ask if I have a jib card hahahahaha

I seen on their site a few days ago you need your AM2 aswell?

Edit: apologies, it says if you DONT have your NVQ, they would consider you if you had your AM2 and another thing.

Here it is from the horses mouth;

[h=2]1.2 Approved Electrician[/h]Qualification and Training
Must satisfy the following four conditions:
(1) Must have been a registered Apprentice or undergone some equivalent method of training and have had practical training in electrical installation work.
(2) Must have obtained an NVQ Level 3 in electrical installation work (or approved equivalent) - See Note 1.
(3) Must have had two years' experience working as an Electrician subsequent to the satisfactory completion of training and immediately prior to the application for this grade.
(4) Must have demonstrated competence and obtained a suitable qualification (the City & Guilds 2391 or the EAL Level 3 Diploma in Inspecting and Testing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipement (500/3542/3) are suitable qualifications) in the inspection, testing and commissioning of installations - see Note 2.
Note 1: If the applicant meets the other three criteria but has not achieved an NVQ Level 3 in electrical installation, then a "Provisional" grading may be awarded if the following criteria are both satisfied:
(a) have obtained at least the City & Guilds 2360 Electrical Installation Theory Part 2 Course Certificate or EAL Diploma in Electrotechnical Services (500/3526/5 (Or approved equivelent).
(b) have obtained Achievement Measurement 2 or must be able, with the application for Grading and any other relevant supporting evidence (i.e. the City & Guilds Electricians Certificate) which may be required, to satisfy the Grading Committee of his experience and suitability.

that's great biff; glad to hear it. you can't really fail now - if there's any discrepancies with your project, you should get the opportunity to correct them before it gets sent off to city and guilds. well done mate.

i hear what you're saying about the course. my time in the classroom was spent going over old 2391-20 papers. it just seems like you're being taught how to pass an exam, rather than learning the subject matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to JIB grading in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net