Discuss JIB grading in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Any one have the platinum card ???
Not an easy one to get but once got you just have to hold on to it.
Up stages the card flasher types out there. Dont use it for much else though.
Trouble is once you go down that road your into shower room comparison land lol.

Any one have the platinum card ???
Not an easy one to get but once got you just have to hold on to it.
Up stages the card flasher types out there. Dont use it for much else though.
Trouble is once you go down that road your into shower room comparison land lol.

Ha ha I flash mine because people round here get cards stuck in their face and expect to see some sort of ID plus when I do a EICR I have to attach a coy of it front and back as well as my MFT calibration cert unlike of a job I heard about where a guy was using his mates Scheme registration and there was no question asked as there was a Scheme number at the top of the cert only thing is he was not qualified ,insured,and the tester had no calibration funny old world indeed lol.

Also you need to flash it as I find the sparks who do the bathrooms seam to be putting the word out that they are 100% qualified then the customer asked to see his SJIB card and he promised he would bring it in but next day said he could not find it mmmmmmmmmmm customer was not pleased still he got a cert with a number at the top

Thing is OT. You work hard to get to the top of your profession.
Then look back at your working life, and the experience you've gained over the years.
Only to see a trade filled with quick fix schemes and desperate blokes willing to part with there redundancy cash to become so called qualified electricians to earn a quick buck.
Granted it happens more within the domestic side where its easier for these guys to get away with it on basic electrical knowledge.
But you have to feel for the general public, who can often be fooled into thinking they have a proffessional in there home.
The JIB scheme seems to be the only one thats not prepared to tolerate un-qualified trades people. And I say good for them.
Of course within the commercial world of customers. The people requiring competant skilled electricians often ask to see these cards. And thats where the blokes who take advantage of the domestic work fall flat on there face. They simply dont have the knowledge to tackle commercial electrics, its way out of there league.
But as said its the domestic stuff thats a complete joke from what I see these days.
And unlike JIB. The scheme providers are far more generous at handing out the bits of paper for quick cash.
For that reason I will always back the gold card guys, because they have proved there worth in the field.
Those that moan about how hard it may be to get there preffered card of choice need to sit back and say I will get it when I can actually prove I deserve it.

Thing is OT. You work hard to get to the top of your profession.
Then look back at your working life, and the experience you've gained over the years.
Only to see a trade filled with quick fix schemes and desperate blokes willing to part with there redundancy cash to become so called qualified electricians to earn a quick buck.
Granted it happens more within the domestic side where its easier for these guys to get away with it on basic electrical knowledge.

But you have to feel for the general public, who can often be fooled into thinking they have a proffessional in there home.
The JIB scheme seems to be the only one thats not prepared to tolerate un-qualified trades people. And I say good for them.
Of course within the commercial world of customers. The people requiring competant skilled electricians often ask to see these cards. And thats where the blokes who take advantage of the domestic work fall flat on there face. They simply dont have the knowledge to tackle commercial electrics, its way out of there league.
But as said its the domestic stuff thats a complete joke from what I see these days.
And unlike JIB. The scheme providers are far more generous at handing out the bits of paper for quick cash.
For that reason I will always back the gold card guys, because they have proved there worth in the field.
Those that moan about how hard it may be to get there preffered card of choice need to sit back and say I will get it when I can actually prove I deserve it.

Well I agree with with you but then again from some viewpoints I would wouldnt I but especially on this site I do get frustrated at what I call the google minded mentality ie why learn it just ask how to do it on the night before or in other words why bark when you have a dog. Now I am 54 I was brought up in a council scheme in Edinburgh most of my peer group thought with their dicks rather than their heads my first year wage was £14 a week my peers were getting £25 a week working in a supermarket but I was lucky to have parents who said sit tight son it will come good and boy were they right then Thatcher hit me and I said I need more skills to stay earning and thats where Darwins theory kicks in I started with 9 other guys and 6 made it to time served with one going further me. And yep our trade is in a mess where we are at saturation stage and the Schemes are brainwashing guys out of £6000 to live the dream. Now I dont have a problem with a guy or a girl wanting to better themselves but get this I just will not tolerate sloppy or unprofessional attitudes towards the work in hand or towards the customer. Yep joking apart with me flashing the card but I do this when some clown tries to put me down because OT you must be a cowboy cos you aint registered or Part P O yea well I live in Scotland so no Part P as for being scheme registered I do small electrical repairs no rewires ,kitchens etc because I am in what I call a niche market and dont need to pay some clown £800 for a system that does not work is not enforceable and to top it off cannot be as it goes against the European Free Trade Act. Sadly its not my age here when I say standards have dropped across the board because of one word LAZY I have never seen so much people who try to make money for little or no effort so is it hard to run a business not if you are professional if not then our friend Darwin kicks in

I would employ an electrician with a JIB or SJIB card over them stupid scheme routes anytime, one thing I know is that my JIB card has more weight behind it than if I was registered to any scheme. Reading on her there seem to be many people who can get with a scheme as an electrician but do not meet the requirements for the JIB or SJIB so that in its self speaks volumes. Then when these people can't get the grade card they'd like they all seem to slag the JIB off, well the JIB has it's faults but since it's introduction it's the best we've got. I've been a member for more years than I care to remember and I've yet to see a better system for contracting sparks, so the sooner the scams are replaced with maybe another section of the JIB the better.

Well I agree with with you but then again from some viewpoints I would wouldnt I but especially on this site I do get frustrated at what I call the google minded mentality ie why learn it just ask how to do it on the night before or in other words why bark when you have a dog. Now I am 54 I was brought up in a council scheme in Edinburgh most of my peer group thought with their dicks rather than their heads my first year wage was £14 a week my peers were getting £25 a week working in a supermarket but I was lucky to have parents who said sit tight son it will come good and boy were they right then Thatcher hit me and I said I need more skills to stay earning and thats where Darwins theory kicks in I started with 9 other guys and 6 made it to time served with one going further me. And yep our trade is in a mess where we are at saturation stage and the Schemes are brainwashing guys out of £6000 to live the dream. Now I dont have a problem with a guy or a girl wanting to better themselves but get this I just will not tolerate sloppy or unprofessional attitudes towards the work in hand or towards the customer. Yep joking apart with me flashing the card but I do this when some clown tries to put me down because OT you must be a cowboy cos you aint registered or Part P O yea well I live in Scotland so no Part P as for being scheme registered I do small electrical repairs no rewires ,kitchens etc because I am in what I call a niche market and dont need to pay some clown £800 for a system that does not work is not enforceable and to top it off cannot be as it goes against the European Free Trade Act. Sadly its not my age here when I say standards have dropped across the board because of one word LAZY I have never seen so much people who try to make money for little or no effort so is it hard to run a business not if you are professional if not then our friend Darwin kicks in
A while since I posted but I had to just take a moment to say HERE HERE !!!

A while since I posted but I had to just take a moment to say HERE HERE !!!

Thanks but me thinks I will retreat from this forum for a spell as it seems to be a free for all its not that we are maintaining standards I think sometimes we contribute to the mess we call our trade

People on a forum are never going to be the ones to uphold or indeed raise the standard of work out there mate. The same stuff seems to be happening in other trades too. A lot of bodies out their with their grubby hands out saying I will give you a piece of paper for £xxxxx and I will put the work certificate on it for another £xxxx and finally I will give you a nice shiny new card with your picture on it if you re-mortgage and send us the balance by BACS transfer lol. BUT these types then moan like heck when an old fashioned JIB card is in the land of the unobtainable. Good for you for sticking by your principals mate.

would be better if one of the requirements to join any scheme was a jib card,

being honest people have heard off or seen niceic around so some people refuse work to electra,napit etc

one of the reasons i hang around these forums is i did tech certs then started a full aprentaship.

but mine is an odd one as the firm mainly does bms so i like to read up on the power side because the only power i normally end up doing us motor's or 12/24v dc

what irks me is that when i got my 2360 pt1/2 nvq1/2 and am1 16 years ago the collage told me that i was qualified and that the nvq3 was an optional extra. i am not a domestic sparks and all my work was in office and factory refurbs. it was only when i done my 2391 that i found out that the jib only class me a a trainee. having spent 3 years twice a week at collage and working in the trade during day that i needed another qualification. which does not exist now . at the time the company i worked for were happy which is why i never took the nvq3. i understand the need to weed out the cowboys and there are plenty but is it also another way of making money the same as they do with 7671 and issue another coloured book . just my opinion.

Reply to JIB grading in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net