Discuss Joining a Scheme - Is it worth it in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

graeme210375

Hi all

I have my Elecsa assesment booked for 19th Dec and am now having serious doubts as to whether its worth joining a scheme at all.

Recent research led me to the government review of Part P released in April 2012. I'm not sure if it has been amended or scrapped since?

With the type of work that I have demand for, it appears that paying an anual fee of ÂŁ440 inc vat to Elecsa could be a bit much.

It appears that the review indicates it could be possible to allow a registered person to test and sign off my work. It also indicates a de-grading of notifiable work, thus allowing more work to be non-notifiable. In addition the cost of LABC notification could be reduced.

The majority of the work requests i get are adding new lights or aditional sockets, replacing sockets and switches, putting up outside security lights and the odd cu change.

Bearing in mind the registered spark I know (and have occasionally worked with) said if the changes take place, he will hapily test and sign of my work for a nominal charge, I doubt I will exceed the scheme registration fee in costs each year.

The flip side, however, if I delay, there has been talk of the scheme providers changing their entry criteria early next year. In which case, if the government do not push through the changes, I could be left out in the cold.

I am tempted to hold of registration until the final descisions are reached.

Today is the last day that I can cancel my Elecsa assesment and still receive a full refund, so your advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

It's a cost thing tbh. Quite a few of the local sparks round here notify direct to LABC and just add the cost to their invoice. I was with Elecsa and am now with NICEIC. For me the cost of scheme membership is less than the cost of notifying LABC and I'll average the cost of the membership across all jobs throughout the year (usually add ÂŁ20 to notify work). Your call really though.

I think its one of those things.

Sure ÂŁ440 is a lot of money but how many CU changes do you have to do before the LABC fees exceed the Elecsa cost?

So you bail out and wait for "changes" and let your mate get the lion share of testing and certification - not sure I'd not want that - don;t you want YOUR business to grow and thrieve??

I'd say join now then you're ok!

Good points.
My worry is that as I'm starting part time along side another job, if part P does change, it will allow unregistered people to pick up alot of the proposed New non notifiable work charging a fraction of the price. These small jobs will initially be my bread and butter.

Im with Murdoch, for the cost of one CU change, your registration is paid for. Then your free to carry out any work you want. Sure you may only pick up the smaller jobs for now, but whats to say you dont go out there in search for larger work. Make some flyers, type out some letters highlighting the new business and get going around your local community to get your face known and recognised. You may often find that people will in fact book you for a job or two just to meet their new local spark.

Many guys dont proactively hunt work down and may solely rely on word of mouth to win work. Promote yourself to earn the bigger work, and with elecsa behind you, your free to do as you please.

Yes its money that feels like its lost in the void, but its just one of those hurdles to jump over. Many customers will WANT to see your part of a scheme, gives them that added security your legit and know what your doing.

Scams - without a doubt
Essential - without a doubt.

Great argument wade88.
Will pay for this year and see what the changes hold. Your right in saying that its quite clear I can only expand my business by registering.
Just loathed to pay a company who are profiting by administering a compulsary government legislation.

Apparently if your not already part of a scheme you'll have to be NVQ level 3 at least to join one, at the moment you only need 17th edition and part P.

May be better to do it in the long run if your not Level 3 and dont plan doing it.

Join one of the scams --- if your in a scheme you can always opt out next year if its not for you. If your not in and things change in ways none of us can really envisage yet, it might be more difficult to get in later! Consider it risk money your putting up to keep your options open, plus as the other guys have stated you should soon recoup your outlay after a few good jobs :)

Many thanks for all of your advice. Definately going for it, as this outlay could pay dividens in the future.
Just a bit of pre assessment jitters me thinks.

If you want to get on in business you will need to join a scheme, as well as other things too, like insurance and health and safety policies, and imo an accountant haha, theres a debate on it's own, but you can only gain respect in the trade if you have a scammers logo on your van, they know it and thats why they are raking it in, without one even if your a great spark, merited customers will think of you as bob from the pub.

Reply to Joining a Scheme - Is it worth it in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net