Discuss Joining cables behind plaster in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wago and wagobox are my favorite.
You can order a free sample from their website.

Some information on maintenance free connections is at Maintenance Free Connections

Thanks guys

It is interesting that there is no definative reg on this, as I am sure it crops up loads. (The example I gave was simply a possible situation I may be faced with at some point).

Jason, I am very interested in the Ashley JB you mentioned and would be grateful of more info if you have any. Also, if JB's are no longer allowed to be positioned where they are not accessible, are there any other suppliers that offer neat solutions?

Interestingly my tutor at college says he would never crimp hard drawn cable either but use a connector instead. I suppose the down side to that is, it would be significantly larger and therefore require deeper recess to plaster over (should you decide to).

It would be good to hear what NIC, Elesca etc have to say on this issue.

Thanks again for your help and I will post again, if I receive 'official' guidelines!

Cheers

MMAX, Big red book - Page 106, Reg 526.3 part 4 ;)

You cant put a connector block into plaster. Terminsal with scres etc need to be accessable for inspection.

The above reg tells you eveything you need to know mate.

Again, thanks for all the responses.

Wago boxes and connectors are great, I got some from the Elex exhibition last year and need to get some more!

Any product that the manufacturers state can be used within plastered walls must be a winner. I will follow all the links forwarded to me and let you all know if I find anything of interest.

Lister - If soldering and heatshrink are acceptable methods according to your NIC man, do you know if they have anything in writing to confirm?

Timo thanks for the 'RED BOOK' info. I think this will be my next purchase, as I will need it for next year anyway.

Cheers

Lister - If soldering and heatshrink are acceptable methods according to your NIC man, do you know if they have anything in writing to confirm?

It's in the regs 526.3(iv) Every connection shall be accessible for inspection, testing and maintenance, except for the following.

(iv) A joint made by welding, soldering, brazing or appropriate compression tool

Although you will have to check your PL because most standard policies won't insure brazing or welding

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Dufjax,

Seems mad that the regs are written to improve safety but the insurance companies do not recognise that eh?

Red Book on order, so will refer to it when it arrives. Great bedtime reading I bet?

Cheers

Thanks Dufjax,

Seems mad that the regs are written to improve safety but the insurance companies do not recognise that eh?

Red Book on order, so will refer to it when it arrives. Great bedtime reading I bet?

Cheers

I think it's to do with you burning the place down and not the electrical safety aspect of brazing.

Jim

hmm buring the place down! surely not with welding!!

always remember my section Petty Officer on the Sub asking me to follow him while he did a spot of welding on a pipe flange!!

he must have been going 2..3 seconds before he had the lagging well alight and smoking!!

i have never discharged as many Fire Ex's in such quick succession!

i was rewarded with the job of refilling/charging and keeping my mouth shut!!

oh the royal navy was such good fun!!

Don't mind me while I bump some old threads. Just doing the rounds. Ignore the thread if it's not current topic, it'll soon drop off the list, but if the thread interests you, feel free to reply. :)

Reply to Joining cables behind plaster in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net