Discuss Joining twin and Earth the pro way pls in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Noods

Hi All
Could you advise me I wish to join some twin and Earth cable together eh household socket cable. What is the pro way of doing this pls.. I've considered soldering with 40/60 0.8mm flux in core solder and fitting a shrink covering over the joint.. Is this best or can you reccomend a better way please ..

Ps I'm used to bike and car soldering as that's my background so I apologise if I've used incorrect terms or names for household electrics etc..

Many thanks

Stick to what you do best Noods
Charming.... So why is it apparently such a daft Q to ask? The eh was supposed to be eg by the way, spell check interviewed ..

I've a twin and Earth source to link up with an as yet non live section, I don't want another socket I just need to join the two safely that's all.. Do I use a junction box, solder it or what ? Pls

If accessible for future inspection you can use a normal 30 amp 3 terminal junction box but if the connection is to be under floorboards for example a maintenance free box with appropriate connectors within is required to comply with BS7671. But although a simple job there are still plenty of ways to get it wrong and therefore dangerous so if you're not confident get a decent Sparks to do the job, it shouldn't cost a great deal at all.

• If the junction box is going to be accessible, then you can use a box with screw terminals.
  • If it is not to be accessible, you can use what is known as a "maintenance free" junction box.
  • If it a joint that is going to be chased into the wall then the joint can be welded, brazed, soldered or joined using compression techniques (eg crimps) but it must be done with a proper crimps and an electrician's crimper, not the weedy things that car and bike people use. The whole repair then will need to be sleeved using something like heat-shrink sleeving.
In all cases the cable must be supported and resistant to being pulled out. Junction boxes that had cable clamps are made for that.

So a lot of choices. Maybe if you were to describe the situation a bit more.............

• If the junction box is going to be accessible, then you can use a box with screw terminals.
  • If it is not to be accessible, you can use what is known as a "maintenance free" junction box.
  • If it a joint that is going to be chased into the wall then the joint can be welded, brazed, soldered or joined using compression techniques (eg crimps) but it must be done with a proper crimps and an electrician's crimper, not the weedy things that car and bike people use. The whole repair then will need to be sleeved using something like heat-shrink sleeving.
In all cases the cable must be supported and resistant to being pulled out. Junction boxes that had cable clamps are made for that.

So a lot of choices. Maybe if you were to describe the situation a bit more.............
Thanks for your reply..

It's from my original workshop and I need to connect it an extension to the workshop I've built.. The construction is plywood with an insulated cavity and another ply interior finish..

These juction Boxes are they a chocolate box type terminal connection that are in a plastic case with cable clamps which screwfix sell?

Reply to Joining twin and Earth the pro way pls in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net