Discuss Joints in ring circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

rigby

-
Reaction score
I came accross a ring circuit that was split into two ring circuits up and down stairs.
All connections are under floor boards and accessible because floor board above each connector is not nailed down, each joint is mentioned in red pen on the floor board. There are joints with screw connectors connecting wires going to each socket.
This I suppose helps as no need to dig up the wall for replacing wire going to each socket.
The questions : is this allowed (as they are all accessible)? and each joint must be increasing the resistance so is there limit to number of joints?

If each socket is fed this way with a single cable then you have a ring distribution cct with many spurs not a standard ring final circuit. As long as the Zs is ok for the cpd I can't say it's wrong but the number of joints would be a concern and also the likelyhood of spurs being taken from spurs.

Hi Truckster,
Thanks for quick reply. Each socket has two sets of wires, one coming in and one going to next socket and each set is connected with plastic screw connectors. I suppose this is still a ring circuit. These joints are like having more sockets added into the ring circuit but they are not sockets they are joints in (screw) connecters. As long as they are marked and accessible they should be ok?

If it's existing then it's ok, but as you know you can't do new work like that. I would note the EICR and point out the pitfalls to the client who may be willing to stump up for maintainance free replacements to the jb's.

sounds like a possible rewire with the old legs in the walls left in to get out of chasing in new ones. as long as it tests OK, it should be fine. if the JBs were fitted prior to 2008, then it's just not compliant with current regs. ( but only if the JBs were inaccessible)

sounds like a possible rewire with the old legs in the walls left in to get out of chasing in new ones. as long as it tests OK, it should be fine. if the JBs were fitted prior to 2008, then it's just not compliant with current regs. ( but only if the JBs were inaccessible)

I was thinking it may be the sockets where moved up the wall from the skirting boards, see a lot of that. :)

Sockets were not moved at all, I was told that its done (2006-07 ish) to split one ring into two rings, up and down stairs plus some additional sockets downstairs.

there are millions of these JBs all over the country. just because the regs. change in 2008 doesn't make them any less safe. if doing a EICR, i would just comment on them, no code.

Can't say i can fully picture your circuit scenario. How was the upstairs wired before this ring being split into two ring circuits?? I'm assuming that the original ring is using one of it's original circuit legs and a new leg taken back to the CU. And basically the same thing, for the other ring!! Or am i reading your OP completely wrong?? If i'm correct, i can't see much wrong in that, and if your too bothered about the JB's, then change them for maintenance free connections....

There have been many way's in which ring circuits have been installed over the years, most of which were perfectly acceptable and met the prevailing Regulations of there time....

Hi Engineer54, I dont know how it was originally, all I know is that they had one ring circuit for upstairs-downstairs alltogether and it was split into two few years ago. I think its all there apart from the accessible bit- I am going to treat them as safe they are all labeled above floor boards and floor boards are not nailed so accessible.

Reply to Joints in ring circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net