Discuss Junction boxes under floorboards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

DNS1

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Just a quick one guys. Just wanted to clarify something which I've heard many opinions on... Is it acceptable to have a junction box under floorboards?

Just doing a lighting rewire and several lights are of the kind without the loop-in/out/switch terminals, just the line, neutral, earth.

Boxes would still be accessible by simply lifting carpet and jemmying a board. As I understand, as long as I note the location then everything is ok. Is this right?

Should I be thinking about the possibility of someone laying a non-removable floor later on (tiles or laminate) or is that simply not my problem?

Have you tried using those maintenance free joint boxes ?? They are a bit more expensive, but i like them, and they are quick and easy to install.

I've looked into them in the past, but not found anywhere I can buy them locally.

Used Wagos before, just as an alternative to choc block and they're brilliant, but apparently not truely maintenance free as they don't have strain relief.

" Boxes would still be accessible by simply lifting carpet and jemmying a board. As I understand, as long as I note the location then everything is ok. Is this right?"

Fort Knox gold is also accessible then. Use maint free boxes.

Boxes would still be accessible by simply lifting carpet and jemmying a board. As I understand, as long as I note the location then everything is ok. Is this right?

To me, that is not accessible. Any joints would have to be MF.
Accessible means ease of access with or without the use of a simple tool (and I don't mean the Apprentice), without causing any damage or disruption.

Elecsa advice at the ammendment 1 seminar was that junction boxes under floorboards are not considered accessible unless the exact location is noted on your certificates and paperwork. I'd also mark the top of the floorboard etc.
Hwever, maintenance free jb's are the way forward. I use Hagar, which are availble at all 3 of my main local wholesalers, Denmans, Devondale and Edmunsons. (probably city too) They are about ÂŁ2.70 + VAT each. If you have more than 4 cores in any connector however, you'll need extra wago's or 2 jb's.

I've looked into them in the past, but not found anywhere I can buy them locally.

Used Wagos before, just as an alternative to choc block and they're brilliant, but apparently not truely maintenance free as they don't have strain relief.

Use the LINEenclosure with the LINE Maintenance free upgrade. Fully comliant with bs7671 requirements for mf.

http://www.line products.co.uk/forumshop or click on the LINE sponsorship link.

Use the LINEenclosure with the LINE Maintenance free upgrade. Fully comliant with bs7671 requirements for mf.

http://www.line products.co.uk/forumshop or click on the LINE sponsorship link.

I try to educate our wholesalers about the line products. I even pointed out the advertisement in the PE magazine this month. Working for someone is fine but Unfortunately I'm limited as to what I can get, I'm allowed anything I need from the wholesalers but if they don't stock them I can't have them :(

I try to educate our wholesalers about the line products. I even pointed out the advertisement in the PE magazine this month. Working for someone is fine but Unfortunately I'm limited as to what I can get, I'm allowed anything I need from the wholesalers but if they don't stock them I can't have them :(
Please pm me the details of your wholesaler-I will see what I can do.
Thanks

Just a quick one guys. Just wanted to clarify something which I've heard many opinions on... Is it acceptable to have a junction box under floorboards?

Just doing a lighting rewire and several lights are of the kind without the loop-in/out/switch terminals, just the line, neutral, earth.

Should I be thinking about the possibility of someone laying a non-removable floor later on (tiles or laminate) or is that simply not my problem?

No excuse at all now to bury old JB's under floorboards. Use the Line enclosure with the MF kit and you are fully BS 7671 compliant. Brilliant kit.

What are those line ones like? They look a right pain to terminate, what's used to restrain the cables. I'm reluctant to buy some yet as wholesalers round here don't stock them I always use the hager mf ones

What are those line ones like? They look a right pain to terminate, what's used to restrain the cables. I'm reluctant to buy some yet as wholesalers round here don't stock them I always use the hager mf ones
Easy to work with, plenty of room inside. Also are threaded for 20mm glands if needed.

strain relief is by means of cable ties. wago connectors can be used inside. easy and quick. love 'em. buy direct from line products. good price and fast delivery. i use them for downlights with wago cage clamps.

I just checked out a youtube of the line product, do they come with wago's or do you use them as you need them hence adding to cost? I've only used standard Denmans wagos which are non release and you can't test off them, plus if you need to disconnect something you have to cut all the cables and dump the connector. Whats a like for like cost? Hagar 4gang, 4way mfjb against a line connector with 4x 4gang releasable wago with test probe hole. (if such a thing exists) I do think a Hagar box is better if you like a neatly dressed labelled jb.

Reply to Junction boxes under floorboards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net