Discuss Just a fellow customer after a little advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

CluelessCustomerneedsHELP

Hi all,
I have recently bought a two bed mid terrace Victorian house with a loft room the house is over three floors with a small kitchen and two reception rooms down stairs bathroom upstairs and a double and single room on the next floor and a loft room which we wanted to turn into and extra two rooms. How long should a house like this take to do a basic rewire? With two extras a outside rear light and a waterproof garden socket.
We hire a local family builder to put in new kitchen, bathroom and changes the loft room in to two and he suggested I used his sons for the electrics and the plumbing as needed a new boiler it's been five months with no water, gas, or electric except for a builders socket. The electrician has billed me for 18 days to do a incomplete first fix saying it takes that long the house has been empty for the entire Build. I paid for the materials up front a sum of £658.75 and now he wants a further £2435. Should it take 18 days to do a basic first fix??? PLEASE I NEED ADVICE!!!!

Hum.... unless you have an agreed spec, and quote from your builders...... its any ones guess.

18 days for a 1st fix sounds OTT for such a small property.

To keep this in perspective, how many sockets, switches, lights, fans etc do you have in total?

If he is trying to preserve the features of the original plaster work , covings, floorboards etc.It could well take a lot longer to do a first fix than a modern house.
The first fix is the most time consuming part of a rewire , particularly in this case as even the loft space will be wired too . So you are really looking at four floors.
It will also depend on the number of circuits that are required for the number of rooms .

PS, I may of misunderstood the loft room . But if access is difficult it may be time consuming.

Hello Ruston, thank you for getting back to me I have recently bought a two bed mid terrace Victorian house with a loft room the house is over three floors with a small kitchen and two reception rooms down stairs bathroom upstairs and a double and single room on the next floor and a loft room which we wanted to turn into and extra two rooms. How long should a house like this take to do a basic rewire? With two extras a outside rear light and a waterproof garden socket.
We hire a local family builder to put in new kitchen, bathroom and changes the loft room in to two and he suggested I used his sons for the electrics and the plumbing as needed a new boiler it's been five months with no water, gas, or electric except for a builders socket. The electrician has billed me for 18 days to do a incomplete first fix saying it takes that long the house has been empty for the entire Build. I paid for the materials up front a sum of £658.75 and now he wants a further £2435. Should it take 18 days to do a basic first fix??? PLEASE I NEED ADVICE!!!!

Hi, maybe if you posted a spec of points in room and type of lights ect then some forum members may pm you their guide price!

I would say for the whole rewire it should cost 3500-4500 dependent on the complexity of what you want. But a simple sockets and lights and cooker I imagine on a two up two down with loft/two rooms, sounds like ten days maximum completed. Two people working. So for the complete rewire it should take maximum 20 days. More likely 15 days as its empty. I am being cautious as I dont have a clue apart from your description of the rooms. That would include materials. If I saw the location and house it may be less. But I offer the maximum I imagine it could be.

Hi and welcome to the forum. How many points is there altogether? by points I mean switches, sockets, lights, switched fused spurs, fans, fan isolators, sockets for appliances, etc ? If you add them up and post it up we would be able to give you a pretty accurate average cost and time scale (well as accurate as we can be without actually seeing the job) Cheers

as lee says. a points count would give a fairly accurate estimate. but reading post#3, it looks a bit suspect.. a sensible demand for a first fix would be £2000 - £2300 including materials (cable, boxes etc.)

Hi and welcome to the forum. How many points is there altogether? by points I mean switches, sockets, lights, switched fused spurs, fans, fan isolators, sockets for appliances, etc ? If you add them up and post it up we would be able to give you a pretty accurate average cost and time scale (well as accurate as we can be without actually seeing the job) Cheers
Hi lee this was our original list of what we wanted

Full electrical rewire

Second floor bathroom
1.00 1 x light position 1 x switch position non handing 1 x standard 4"extractor fan with timer and isolation switch 1 x shaver socket.

Second floor bedroom.
2.00 1 x light position 1 x switch position 2 x twin socket outlets.

Second floor landing
3.00 1 x light position 1 x switch position in 2 way switching to 1st floor 1 x mains powered smoke detector.

First floor rear bedroom
4.00 1 x light positon 1 x switch position 3 x twin socket outlets.

First floor front bedroom
5.00 1 x light position 2 x switch positions 4 x twin socket outlets.

First floor landing
6.00 1 x light position 1 x switch position top of stairs 1 x 2g switch position bottom stairs to second floor 1 x mains powered smoke detector.

Living room /study
7.00 1 x light position 1 x switch position 3 x twin socket outlets.

Hallway
8.00 1 x light position 2 x switch positions 2 way 1 x mains powered smoke.

Living room
9.00 1 x light position 1 x switch position 4 x twin socket outlets 1 x high level tv socket outlet 2 x gold tip hdmi cables to be installed from tv position to sky box at low level.

Under stairs cupboard
10.00 1 x light position 1 x switch position

Kitchen
11.00 4 x fire rated led down lighter positions 1 x switch position 4 x twin socket outlets 4 x high level s/f/spur positions 4 x low level appliance single socket outlets 1 x 32A cooker supply

Mains position
12.00 1 x metal clad dual rcd consumer unit .

Outside lighting
13.00 1 x front external light position 1 x rear external light positions fittings to be supplied by customer once chosen.

as lee says. a points count would give a fairly accurate estimate. but reading post#3, it looks a bit suspect.. a sensible demand for a first fix would be £2000 - £2300 including materials (cable, boxes etc.)
Thank you all for taken the time out of your evenings in answering my question and doubts so £3400 for a incomplete first fix with sockets and switches even a shaver socket fan isolate switch missing cut the hole to big for the fan,the sky and tv aerial doesn't work and front and rear light and led spot lights missing from the original list just to mention a few. Do you think he was just maybe taking advantage that we weren't on site all the time because of me having chemotherapy treatment and maybe that I'm disabled? And because of how much I had paid he's dad and brother he could try it on to?

the whole job looks around £4500 -£5000, complete with relevant certificate and notification.

get him to give you a written quote for the whole job with everything you want specified.

labour only as you said you supplied the material in the OP you would roughly be looking at about £3400-£3500 that's 1st and 2nd fix and a max time scale of around 14 days for the whole job. With that price and time scale that would be a proper job, no cut corners like clipping cables in chases etc. The 1st fix normally takes longer than the 2nd fix so the electricians invoice/bill could well be proportional but 18 days is over egging it IMO. If it has taken him 18 days because he works extremely slowly he averages out at £135 a day based on what hes billing you which is unheard of for a self employed electrician running a reputable business. Maybe he has done it quicker but was shy to state his actually day rate of which should be in the region of £200-£250 a day in the domestic game.

the whole job looks around £4500 -£5000, complete with relevant certificate and notification.

get him to give you a written quote for the whole job with everything you want specified.[/QUOTE hello Telectrix thank you for the reply first it was £2500 all in then he changed his mind and said it was without materials and I had to pay for them £658.75 then he said had to pay 20% VAT extra £130 on top then we sent me a nasty email saying that he can't finish the job and I'm a hassle to work for.

Reply to Just a fellow customer after a little advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock