Discuss Just to confuse matters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well I'm glad you cleared that up for us Pete!

A good friend of mine who is an electrician emigrated to Palm Springs about 30 years ago and he was trying to explain this to me. I believe they use Delta secondaries on their distribution transformers with the neutral tapped half way along one winding to get the various voltages and the neutral.. weird way of doing things.
I just found the attached drawing comparing our star secondaries and their delta ones.

IMG_0281.JPG

Well I'm glad you cleared that up for us Pete!

A good friend of mine who is an electrician emigrated to Palm Springs about 30 years ago and he was trying to explain this to me. I believe they use Delta secondaries on their distribution transformers with the neutral tapped half way along one winding to get the various voltages and the neutral.. weird way of doing things.
I just found the attached drawing comparing our star secondaries and their delta ones.

View attachment 36889
Thanks goes some way to explain things

It's actually a very flexible system. The point of edge-grounded delta is to integrate 3-phase with split-phase 120-0-120 which is their normal domestic supply arrangement, 120 for general use and lighting, 240 for heavy loads. If a 3-phase supply is needed, only one extra cable has to be added for the high leg.

Where the 3-phase load is light relative to split phase e.g. in residential areas, then an open-delta transformer configuration can be used. The single-phase 120-0-120 transformer can be sized for the main load and an additional single-phase transformer sufficient for the high leg load is added, without needing a 3-phase transformer at all. No single-phase load would be drawn from it as it is the wrong voltage (208V) from neutral.

Reply to Just to confuse matters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net