Discuss Keeping Horstmann 7 on all day? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Made135

Hi all, I have zero experience with boilers and timers so hoping I can clear up some confusion.
I have a Horstmann Electronic 7 with a simple digital interface controlling a Heatrae Sadia megaflo tank.
I need hot water at irregular and different times of the day throughout the week.
I can set it to timed boost setting and change the boost time. If I set on to 12am and off to 11:59pm, does this mean the boiler will be on all day all the time heating water? Or can it sense temperature in the tank and only boil whenever necessary to always maintain a tank of hot water?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Keeping Horstmann 7 on all day? 20170503_004141 - EletriciansForums.net

Keeping Horstmann 7 on all day? 20170503_004248 - EletriciansForums.net

Welcome to the Forum !
Just looking at the first pic - what happens if you set the slide switch to manual boost? (is it fixed at 1hour boost?)

If I set on to 12am and off to 11:59pm, does this mean the boiler will be on all day all the time heating water? Or can it sense temperature in the tank and only boil whenever necessary to always maintain a tank of hot water?

Hi,

The timed settings you specified should keep it on for 12 hours, but it will be turned on and off by the thermostat on the tank. This will keep it at the set temperature.

Thank you Wilko and saspm for the welcome and replies!
I'm baffled there's a Manual Boost setting as well as a Boost button. The Boost button starts a 1hr boost on demand and I'm not sure what the Manual Boost setting does, as it seems to do nothing. Is it just a setting to leave the unit on but requires me to 'manually' boost it on demand when necessary?

So I assume by saspm's response that the thermostat of the tank will control the heating on and off, I can techincally set it to Timed On at midnight and off at 11:59pm, which would mean it would be on all day except for 1 minute, but only heat/boil when necessary... Which sounds ideal.

Normally the thermostat is integrated with the immersion element, if it is a direct heated water cylinder. What litre / size is the cylinder? If it is large enough and insulated it should not need more than a couple of hours heating. Maybe just boost it a night if required!

I personally would not like to keep it heated permanently due to running costs, even though there is a thermostat probably keeping it at roughly 65c

I have not used this model, I think manual boost is just perm on and boost button gives just an hour.

Hi,

The timed settings you specified should keep it on for 12 hours, but it will be turned on and off by the thermostat on the tank. This will keep it at the set temperature.
Hi i have question regarding that. I have horstman and it is set to hear water between 2 am till 8 am. So if i finish hot water throughout day i dont have any until the next day. Can i keep it 24hours heating? Will that spike my electricity bill? Or will that be ok because it will be heating as topup and not the whole tank?

I have a different type of programmer, but just for info...I used to leave it "on" 24/7, relying on the stat on the HWC to regulate it...I have off-peak too.
Put in a new Sangamo, set it to give power for 1 hour a day, between 5 and 6 am, so on the off-peak tariff...result?
30% reduction in electricity bill.
OK, I live alone, so just need a nice hot shower each morning and enough hot water for dishes etc but keeping the stat as a way to top up the hot water is just a waste of electricity. I can hit half-hour, 1 hour, 2 hour boost...and this is a good way to heat water even if you don't have off-peak.
works for me, but may not work for a family of four, obviously.
Fortunately, my local health club has wonderful showers which I can use when I want from 6am to 9pm...I never use them, but I do encourage my guests to do so!
Fuel costs are going crazy right now...
As an aside...I know a chap who "lives" in the health club...he arrives at opening time, has his shower, plugs his laptop in at the lounge/diner, stays all day, even brings his own sandwiches for lunch, works, watches TV, goes home when the club closes...I guess he really gets the max from his membership...but how sad is that?
Well, 3 of his mates now do the same thing!

Reply to Keeping Horstmann 7 on all day? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock