Discuss Kewtech KT65DL as a PAT tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

shinypen

Hi All.

I'm just about to qualify as a domestic installer and I'm looking at PAT testing to help things tick along while I build up more interesting work. I've got a job PAT testing at a school (200 ish pupils) if I want it.

I haven't got a multifunction tester yet so my question is: Is the Kewtech KT65DL really capable of PAT testing on this kind of scale or am I better buying a cheaper tester and a separate PAT machine?

Many thanks, Rob.

For a school with 200 pupils you may well find it easier to purchase (a second hand?, calibrated) dedicated ISITEE tester.
The testing will be quicker to do (once you have the correct sequences set up) and record keeping should be easier.
Some do not like MFTs lacking a high current earth continuity test.
Whilst an MFT can do the tests required the amount of data generated can be overwhelming and the constant change of settings can be time consuming. You would need to set up a database for the school equipment to allow faster data management.
However since there are companies that will charge a pittance for this testing you do need to check that you have a suitable source of income from ISITEE to justify the purchase and calibration of the tester.

Thank you Richard. Food for thought. It doesn't look like the KT65 will be up to the job really.

I use an MFT for ISITEE but I do very little testing and a maximum of fifty items and even with fifty items I find it a pain logging all the reference numbers and results and transferring them to a report.
However you may be more tech savvy than me and would be able to store the results in the MFT and download them or such like.

My previous life was as an Information Analyst (Excel/databases and the like) so it may well be workable that way. The worry is the 20amp continuity test. I haven't actually done the C&G 2377 yet so don't know how "compulsory" this is.

The low current test is an alternative to the 25A test, obviously a high current test would be more reliable to detect a fault but the 200mA is allowable.

Reply to Kewtech KT65DL as a PAT tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock