Discuss Kitchen Appliance circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Snapester

Designing a kitchen appliance circuit, i plan to feed a bank of grid switches with a 6mm T&E fed via a 32A MCB, then each switch will have a 2.5mm cable to a fcu supplying an under counter appliance.
My main question is, is it ok to change down to 2.5mm and then feeding the FCU? As the cable cannot be overloaded as the main load is connected to the FCU at position?

Regards

come on I=P/U....you gonna try stuffin 4mm or 6mm into the back of an FCU?...lol...

i read it as 6mm to switch bank, then 2.5mm to each FCU. but doubt if could link switches in 6mm

telectrix yes that is a valid point! Maybe i will run a 4mm 20amp radial i will check the calcs!
I should have thought about that one damn! This is why you guys are good to run it through with!

so i take it hes in a commercial kitchen with lot of appliances and wants to switch them from the door.. so how would you go about this.

and detailed for the impaired glensparks;)

Why not run two seperate 2.5mm radials protected by two 20A breakers each feeding half of the switches within the grid then run your circuits in 2.5mm from each grid switch straight to each socket outlet? Also, no need for FCU's, unless the appliances have no plugs.

but what about the 2.5 from the switch to the fcu???
On this radial circuit that 2.5 run from the appliance switch can only ever be subjected to maximum 13a being drawn through it because the SINGLE appliance will be conected to the 2.5 via the FCU or a standard plug - either of which take a maximum 13a.

On this radial circuit that 2.5 run from the appliance switch can only ever be subjected to maximum 13a being drawn through it because the SINGLE appliance will be conected to the 2.5 via the FCU or a standard plug - either of which take a maximum 13a.

What about in the event of a short circuit at the FCU?

Edit: Or a fault at the FCU that somehow results in 32A and no more being drawn through the 2.5mm cable?

Fire hazard me thinks

Last edited:

Reply to Kitchen Appliance circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net