Discuss Kitchen Mains Circuit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

So you may need a new dedicated circuit for the cooker too

Yeah I already assumed that for the cooker.
Although I just checked the cookers and they are on 13 amp plugs? that would mean 3kW? really?? that low?? I thought they would be up with showers >7.5kW.

But I guess either way 3kW would be another high power unit on the circuit, so then the kitchen circuit could potentially have Cooker, Dishwasher, washing machine, dryer and kettle going at once whic sounds a lot! I suppose this applies to all households though
So cooker on its own would take a load off

If, by 'cooker' you mean oven, then less than 3kW is typical. Electric hobs, on the other hand, will be in the 7kW+ region.

Yeah sorry in my brain cooker = oven
Will be electric oven and gas hob. because electric hobs are rubbish!

From my experience, B&Q will use electricians registered with NICEIC (not a prerequisite for competence, just 'cos their registered), so they would suggest a kitchen installer would not be doing the work.

As suggested, RCBO for new 'Ring Circuit', be you may need to check compatibility of new Hager RCBO in your 'fuseboard'. And as kitchen designers often do, you new cooker/oven will probably be relocated to the other side of the kitchen, which also may require RCD protection for new buried cable route. This could be accommodated in the existing RCD, but the 'Division of Installation Police' may be along in a minute to quash that idea. Earthing & bonding might need upgrading, although looking at your fuseboard & notices near it, that might already be in place.

Suffice to say, you need to get a competent electrician in to advise you.

From my experience, B&Q will use electricians registered with NICEIC (not a prerequisite for competence, just 'cos their registered), so they would suggest a kitchen installer would not be doing the work.

As suggested, RCBO for new 'Ring Circuit', be you may need to check compatibility of new Hager RCBO in your 'fuseboard'. And as kitchen designers often do, you new cooker/oven will probably be relocated to the other side of the kitchen, which also may require RCD protection for new buried cable route. This could be accommodated in the existing RCD, but the 'Division of Installation Police' may be along in a minute to quash that idea. Earthing & bonding might need upgrading, although looking at your fuseboard & notices near it, that might already be in place.

Suffice to say, you need to get a competent electrician in to advise you.

Yeah I have contacted some Electricians to get quotes, using the information everyone has provided me on this forum, I will ask the relevant questions. If I state that these various options then at least he will know I have a better understanding of what should and should not be done

Just don't be tempted to do it yourself :) And as I think's been mentioned, as it looking at a new circuit, it will be notifiable to your local building control. So you electrician will need to be registered with a government approved scheme (there are 2 other options).

Yeah sorry in my brain cooker = oven
Will be electric oven and gas hob. because electric hobs are rubbish!

As you will be having a dedicated socket circuit for the kitchen and even though the oven of choice at this time mauy have a 13A plug the fun will start as and when you change your mind, however if you have a dedicated circuit run in for the oven you buy yourself much more flexibility in the long run.

Just don't be tempted to do it yourself :) And as I think's been mentioned, as it looking at a new circuit, it will be notifiable to your local building control. So you electrician will need to be registered with a government approved scheme (there are 2 other options).

Absolutely... I would not take on this task as there are way too many regulations to follow... I would only stick to changing light switched and socket covers

Our induction hob is ace, was dubious at first, having always used gas. But I do like it, very easy to warm up my baked beans.

Reply to Kitchen Mains Circuit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock