Discuss Kitchen wiring, where to put switches in realation to a gas hob. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Ollie

Doing a first fit in a kitchen and have been asked to put the light switch close to where the gas hob is going. it's not directly above it but not far off, about 200mm to the side and 250mm above. Haven't got my 17th edition with me so please does anyone know what the regs are regarding the position of a switch in realtion to a cooker?

The Building Regulations require that accessories should not be mounted so that it is necessary to lean or reach over a cooker to operate them.

All i could find on it mate.

Would the light switch be better off near the door?

Don't think there are any regs stating the distance of a light switch from a hob. Just keep it at a distance so there isn't a risk of burns.

I would imagine that sighting the switch so close to the hob would be a hazard both from the nearness of the heat and also from possible danger of water/steam entering the switch ...... why not put up a ceiling pull cord switch and you can always make the cord be hooked away from any danger.

Another way of looking at it, put a remote control switch plate in place of the switch and make sure it sealed ... you can always hang the remote adjacent to the door :confused:

I always thought the Regs stated no accessories less than 300 mm from gas or electctric hob. But on re-reading it would appear not to be that case. The 300mm distance is only clearly stated with regard to kitchen sinks or draining boards.

All I could find was that its only "General Guidance" - in the 'Guide to the Building Regs' green book, P61 Figure 5.2, where it shows a 300mm distance from hob to accessory. It doesn't appear to be Regulation in itself, but I've always done it anyway as it makes sense.

Hope this helps.

Reply to Kitchen wiring, where to put switches in realation to a gas hob. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net