Discuss Knipex installation pliers in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I have a set of these, I think they're really good. Only thing I don't like is when your second fixing t&e, i use the method of using the earth to tear the sheath back (probably get hassle from the older guys about this method hahaha), which with snips is easy, small snip end on to the t&e and pull the earth out. These pliers won't allow you to do it really, you can mess around and try to use the shears part to do it but it's not the same. Great go to tool for anything else though.
Amd definatly get the sprung ones! Using the stripping notches with the sprung feature is brilliant, fast, and no fear of damage to the conductors. Same when trying to get conductors into an accessory, the end of the pliers allows you to grip the conductor with out risk of damage to the insulation, recently used that feature to get 6mm2 into an awkward oven termination.
Apart from my t&e second fix gripe, I would recommend these! Especially since they're coming down I price now too, were around £50 when I first saw them around a year ago.

Knipex installation pliers 1396 200
these are the sprung loaded ones. I believe..6 in 1 tools, they sound pretty useful..
Anybody used them? Any good?

Good bit of kit imo

Yes I was taught to use the earth wire ripping method too which I usually do w/o problems, although I believe the "official" tool to use is a knife!? Anyway, have ordered the installation pliers as I found them for £35 on eBay, so I'll see how I get on with them

what other way is there to strip T and E anyway??

Snip into the end and pull each half away from the other

Snip into the end and pull the earth.

Slide a knife along the length of the cable next to the earth.

The knife method is the only way I've found that works well on the bigger sizes, especially with LSF varieties

Snip into the end and pull each half away from the other

Snip into the end and pull the earth.

Slide a knife along the length of the cable next to the earth.

The knife method is the only way I've found that works well on the bigger sizes, especially with LSF varieties

I tend to just pull the earth to prevent any damage by accident..but thanks for the other ways will come in hady :smiley2:

what other way is there to strip T and E anyway??

Cut down with diagonal cutters between CPC and a live conductor, pull apart sheath with fingers, trim sheath with cutters. That's how I always do it.
I'm not at all a fan of pulling the CPC through the sheath or sliding a knife down against the CPC.

Cut down with diagonal cutters between CPC and a live conductor, pull apart sheath with fingers, trim sheath with cutters. That's how I always do it.
I'm not at all a fan of pulling the CPC through the sheath or sliding a knife down against the CPC.

That's the way I was taught, and normally use.
But the bigger stuff, especially LSF crap, is a bit hard to do that with. So I'll either knife it, or score the sheath and pull the earth through the score mark

That's the way I was taught, and normally use.
But the bigger stuff, especially LSF crap, is a bit hard to do that with. So I'll either knife it, or score the sheath and pull the earth through the score mark

Totally agree with that horrible tough stuff, a knife is the only way forward.
The pulling apart method usually serves me OK with PVC T&E, but the knife has to come out for 10mm and up. Thankfully I don't generally have much to do with LSF, LSOH, or 10mm plus PVC in my day to day.

OK so how do you guys strip flex, i usually try and score it with sharp snips then bend it until it rips...i heard other people nibbling bit by bit off until it can be bent to rip...any easier ways??

For flex stripping I use a brilliant little tool I've had for over 25years, it cost less than a fiver and always gives faultless jacket stripping of flex of all sizes, once you get used to it. . You open it up, push the flex thru then rotate the tool several times, depending upon the flex size. It scores the jacket cleanly and without nicking the conductors, you then remove from thr tool then bend the flex to snap off the remains bit of jacket, then pull it off.
They do a similar one on the TLC catalogue called cyclops GP5206. £8.99.

Reply to Knipex installation pliers in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock