Discuss L&N-E IR Test (and we still haven't fixed the stupid 20 characters) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I wasn't able to examine the shaver TX it had been installed under a floor that had then been laminated. There was no FCU it had been tapped into the RFC.
Apparently the Unit has its own internal fuse but of course if that did blow you need to rip the floor up to replace.
Anyway upshot was low IR readings with it in circuit. Disconnected RFC from both sides of it and the rest of the ring read fine. Had to "assume" the TX has some sort of filtering to earth. Had been working fine for years and worked fine on new RCBO for that RFC and has done since.

The shaver point on the wall was just passive. The feed to it is the SELV from the TX.
The advantage is the shaver point is small with nothing in it and no in separated mains is fed near it. They aren't very common.

The shaver point on the wall was just passive. The feed to it is the SELV from the TX.
The advantage is the shaver point is small with nothing in it and no in separated mains is fed near it. They aren't very common.
How do you know it provided an isolated supply.

It's not a test i would carry out with anything plugged in, i would aldo disconnect lamps and Led lights and smoke alarms. It's the only way you'll ever be 100 confident in it results
Pointless exercise unless you get odd readings.

Reply to L&N-E IR Test (and we still haven't fixed the stupid 20 characters) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello all, I hope you're all keeping well. I have a question regarding insulation resistance testing. Whether doing a single circuit IR test or...
Replies
Views
In my line of work it's very rare that I ever have to change a DB. I'm largely in maintenance; occasionally have to add new circuits etc. so in...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. Hopefully someone can help with a little mystery i had today. The issue is fixed but I want to understand what was going on to help...
Replies
Views
I'm writing this mainly hoping something occurs to me while writing it! I got called to an occasionally tripping RCD. It's a Hager double height...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Having a weird problem in a house that has suddenly happened. One half of the ring main has 240ish volts (fluctuates of course), and...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock