Discuss L2, L3 N & E IR test showing dead short, so why is the system working in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello All,
I've been call to a small chapel as the power goes on and off once or twice a week.
Cable is a 50mm 4C fed from a 100A 6kA MCCB 50-60m away. 4pole RCD in Chapel.

Load on each phase is about 20-35A when the A/C kicks in so MCCB and cable OK for that.

IR at 500V Fluke 1653B. Results checked on 2 meters

I pulled the cable out at both ends and did an IR test as we had a bad batch of UAE cable and very poor installation in the ground about 5-6 years ago which has now started to fail .

Results - L1 to L2, L3 N Earth over 500meg - fine
L2, L3 N and E a dead short between them all - 0.00
I had ment to do a continuity test and get a reading but was called away.
Don't worry the cables are capped off and LOTO at the MCCB.

If its a dead short how can the MCCB hold on for 3-5 days at a time before tripping, how can the MCCB ever be switched on for that matter ?

Can some one explain what I'm missing please?

it could be a few thousand ohms and read 0.00 in IR test.

It would be a good idea to get an accurate IR figure but the problem with using a continuity tester is that it will only use a test voltage of a few volts so the figure it gives will be inaccurate and won't correspond to the real life insulation value at 400v. Ideally you need a 500v megger tester than can measure down to 10 kilo ohms range like a Simpson 505 for example but you're in the realms of expensive equipment (> 1000 quid).

If it wasn't tripping the MCCB you could actually reconnect the cable to the supply but not connect to the load and apply power, then put a clamp meter around each wire to see the actual leakage currents. From this you'd get a better idea of your IR. If the currents are very small then you could progress to an earth leakage clamp to get a more accurate reading but I'd suggest a risk assessment before doing these kinds of live tests and appropriate PPE.

Bottom line is that even without further testing your megger tests are sufficient evidence of a cable fault so the other option is just replace it or yank it out, find the damage and fix it.

Last edited:
Hello All,
and thank you for the replys.

Again using the 1653B a resistance of 827 ohms was read between L2 and L3.
I threw a small amp clamp around the conductors and left the building off but no current flow was shown !!! Still got the same IR result though, so I don't know.

Yes the cable will be pulled in the next few days.

Thank you all for your input.

(400)²/827=193. 193W just from one of the affected pairs of cores. If that's a single fault rather than distributed leakage it'll be getting warm!

Has someone possibly made an illicit tap in the cable and you're reading their connected load? That could explain a lower AC current than the DC resistance would suggest.

It looks like the cable will be replaced in the next few days.

Point taken about the heat build up I'll see if i can get under the building with a lazer to scan the cable for a hot spot.

If you never hear from me again the snakes were using it has a heated blanket.

.........Again using the 1653B a resistance of 827 ohms was read between L2 and L3.
I threw a small amp clamp around the conductors and left the building off but no current flow was shown !!! Still got the same IR result though.......

You've got a conflict of test results if you're measuring an IR of 827ohms on a scale that's using a test voltage of a few volts and there's no current flow when it's powered up. With a real resistance that low any normal clamp meter would have happily given you a current reading.

I'm with Lucien, you need to investigate further but start thinking what could give you a phantom load. Out of interest, is there any metering connected to this cable? CT metering is the kinda thing that could give you confusing test results. Is there any kind of monitoring devices like anti-theft cable monitors or even an industrial earth leakage relay? My money would be on some small electronic load being still connected somewhere.

Last edited:
Hello All,
I've been call to a small chapel as the power goes on and off once or twice a week.
Cable is a 50mm 4C fed from a 100A 6kA MCCB 50-60m away. 4pole RCD in Chapel.

Load on each phase is about 20-35A when the A/C kicks in so MCCB and cable OK for that.

IR at 500V Fluke 1653B. Results checked on 2 meters

I pulled the cable out at both ends and did an IR test as we had a bad batch of UAE cable and very poor installation in the ground about 5-6 years ago which has now started to fail .

Results - L1 to L2, L3 N Earth over 500meg - fine
L2, L3 N and E a dead short between them all - 0.00
I had ment to do a continuity test and get a reading but was called away.
Don't worry the cables are capped off and LOTO at the MCCB.

If its a dead short how can the MCCB hold on for 3-5 days at a time before tripping, how can the MCCB ever be switched on for that matter ?

Can some one explain what I'm missing please?

...Just a punt...does this chapel have a steeple? ...or a reason for lightning protection,SPD's etc?

measuring an IR of 827ohms

I'm measuring a continuity of 837 between L2 and L3.

IR test gave 0.00 M Ohms

With the RCD switched off at the chapel there is no load flowing even the 193w calculated in an earlier post is not showing on the amp clamp !
No metering at all Gen set - T/S - MDP - SDP to Chapel.
Electronic equipment all over the place (military comms).

In the night it has tripped again and this morning the MCCB won't reset so new cable and I'll see if I can find the fault and get a picture.

Last edited:
If it's tripped again and the MCCB won't reset then either the MCCB is faulty or you should see a much more defined fault if you repeat your IR tests on the cable. For instantaneous tripping the fault current must be greater than 500A depending on the curve of the breaker so there must be flash damage somewhere and wherever there's flash damage there's carbon which the megger tester should pick up on a 1KV test.

I'm interested to know the outcomes on this one so please pop back and let us know ;)

I would imagine,that by now,there may be visible signs of damage on the exterior of that cable. If it can be pulled,as you mention,some pics would be good.

Some of us don't get out much...:cool3:

Just an update:
The cable was buried in a question mark pattern and part went under the foundations of another building. On checking the cable that was recovered the fault is still in the ground .
So no pictures, sorry, but thanks for the help.

Reply to L2, L3 N & E IR test showing dead short, so why is the system working in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock