Discuss Labelling and Identification in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

The Launderer

In the middle of installing our system for MCS approval on my own house.

I am sure we could have life a little easier if we had chosen a house without rosemary tiles and putting panels in landscape with a cruciform rail system. But I suppose it is better to learn and make mistakes here rather than on a customers house.

I have been going over the DTI requirements for labelling and identification.

Apparently I need to display on site:

PV system schematic
Protection settings & installer details
Emergency shutdown procedure

I can produce the documentation okay - I am just wondering how to display it. Can I put all the required info onto one A4 sheet? The example system schematics kindly provided by members of this forum don't seem to include emergency shut down procedures. Is it okay to add that and installer details onto this?

Would laminating the paper and securing with screws be okay? Where does it get displayed. In my own installation I have put all the new electrics inside a porch above the cupboard containing the meter and consumer unit. Is it okay to display this info inside this cupboard? (maybe on the inside of the cupboard door?)

Both my electrician and myself have been on the PV courses but they just don't go into this sort of detail.

What does everybody else do?

We laminate the schematic and the shutdown procedures separately (the schematic is A4 to keep it nice an clear) both have installer details shown. They are then stuck (with blue tack or sticky pads if the wall is suitable) to the wall next to the Inverter and the isolators (i.e. next to where you can shut the system down) Protection settings can also be laminated I imagine but to date we have included this information in the handover pack that we recommend is kept on site in an accessible place.

My domestic 3.9 kW system installed by a contributor to this forum during November 2011 has provided no labels whatsoever. Does this mean that my system is incomplete and potentially not MCS compliant....?

Photos available on request.

Thanks

John

I saw an 3 phase install today and it made me smile.
All labeled up correctly, and 3 labels saying " you must isolate AC and DC before working on this inverter"
But there were no DC isolation switches...

in fairness , none of my handover packs have been done yet from november. I did label everyhting and talked through the systems with the customer though so they knew what the procedure was to shut down and explained I would sort the packs out in January. As is so often the case, it's all about communication.

Reply to Labelling and Identification in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net