Currently reading:
Lacking space in the box

Discuss Lacking space in the box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

i need to some how get a feed to a hot tub in here too...

any thoughts?

i was thinking it may be possible to rip the existing switch fuse out and stick a mini cu in with a 63a MCB and a 32a? I need to terminate some SWA in there too.

i wont go in to the finer details but this is the only place I can get a supply from and I can't mount anything outside the box as they don't want to do that.

i just need to split the tails and put a 32A supply out to the hot tub.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    490.4 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
I'd say that if they want the hot tub they have to be realistic mate and actually make the job possible for you - the only sensible way I can see is a separate weatherproof box adjacent to the meter box to house your new switchgear.
The use of 6 x 4" or thereabouts adaptable boxes rather than the small covers you can get for the switchfuse is a bit of a bodge too.

I agree removing the switch fuse for MCB wouldn't be the best thing,

I think looking at it, the only way is to go outside the box.

ok, so suppose I do that, looking at it, where would you mount Henley blocks to split the tails? I didn't think you were meant to mount in the sides.

also I think it may look a bit crap if you then take tails and earth out of the bottom then into the enclosure, so maybe it could be put in copex or something or I don't know.

Could you not remove the switch fuse and adaptable boxes and fit a 2way metal Cu in its place as you suggested?
Then just gland in the SWA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i did think that but 'think' it will probably not be so straight forward as I'm unsure how the cables enter at the bottom and it will all probably go horribly wrong and I'd wished id not entertained touching it.

Last edited:
what about building something yourself if it will fit to replace the switch fuse. maybe an open fronted enclosure, main switch, fuse holder and another fuse holder or mcb for the hot tub. https://www.europacomponents.com/product-22x58mm-fuse-holders.html

I agree removing the switch fuse for MCB wouldn't be the best thing,

I think looking at it, the only way is to go outside the box.

ok, so suppose I do that, looking at it, where would you mount Henley blocks to split the tails? I didn't think you were meant to mount in the sides.

also I think it may look a bit crap if you then take tails and earth out of the bottom then into the enclosure, so maybe it could be put in copex or something or I don't know.

With care you could probably mount the blocks in the top of the meter box to the left of the meter, the extra box could go right up tight to the side of the meter box with the tails and earth coming through the side then apply silicone to ensure a good seal.

what about building something yourself if it will fit to replace the switch fuse. maybe an open fronted enclosure, main switch, fuse holder and another fuse holder or mcb for the hot tub. https://www.europacomponents.com/product-22x58mm-fuse-holders.html

Thats bot a bad idea Lee, I'll have a look at it on Monday and see what I can come up with. I'm sure I'll be able to get round it some how.

With care you could probably mount the blocks in the top of the meter box to the left of the meter, the extra box could go right up tight to the side of the meter box with the tails and earth coming through the side then apply silicone to ensure a good seal.

The fuse will possibly end up falling out and the meter being moved by a fairy hard to the left hand side yet..

I feel it turning into a bit of hassle as I will need to some how joint the neutral coming in to the two outgoing ways in the CU and I have a feeling it will be either 16mm or 25mm going to the fusebox in the house.

Its a 4 bed house.

Ill see what I can get, so maybe try and get a main switch, a fuse carrier and a 32A MCB in an enclosure, oh hang on, that 32A needs to be an RCBO.. damn that will take up more space.

Ill have to have a think about this.

How about this,

Get the customer to request a smart meter or move to a supplier who will fit one.
Have the smart meter installed on left hand side and get the switch moved over as well.
Should be a lot more room to play with on the right then.

I would have thought that meter was due for a change anyway.

Last edited:
I feel it turning into a bit of hassle as I will need to some how joint the neutral coming in to the two outgoing ways in the CU and I have a feeling it will be either 16mm or 25mm going to the fusebox in the house.

Its a 4 bed house.

Ill see what I can get, so maybe try and get a main switch, a fuse carrier and a 32A MCB in an enclosure, oh hang on, that 32A needs to be an RCBO.. damn that will take up more space.

Ill have to have a think about this.

That sounds perfect UK, but has anyone seen anything like this? I'd be very interested to see a picture.

I was thinking could you get rid of the isolator switch (as you have a DP switch fuse as isolator), move the switch fuse up, take feed to Hot tub, omitting overcurrent protection as feeding only a known wattage hot tub. But that wouldn't work as even if the SWA doesn't need RCD protection, the hot tub will! Also the hot tub will need local isolation, perhaps one of these which incorporates an RCD, a 32A one, not 16A as in the link Commando Switched Socket 16A 2P+E IP44 With 32A RCD | eBay
This is out of my comfort zone so just thinking out loud as it's interesting.

Last edited:

[h=3]Frequently Asked Questions[/h]
There aren't any questions about this product yet, please click here to ask us a question.

[h=1]Protek 1 Pole Metal Clad Switch Fuse - 63A[/h]
Price: £34.65 (exc. VAT)£41.58 (inc. VAT)

Product code: PKFS163Catalogue page: 85

Click here to be the first to review this product

QTY.

ADD TO MY ORDER

Usually Delivered Next Working Day

[h=3]How Can we Help?[/h]

• 1 Pole in line fused switch
  • Height: 200mm
  • Width: 104mm
  • Depth: 60mm
  • 63A

Reply to Lacking space in the box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock