Discuss Lamp or bulb wire or cable? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Barry White

The topics comes up often so whats your views? and does it bother you?

1 Go into any electrical wholesalers and look in the "lights section" and you will find the following labeled as lamps :-- Incandesent,Hid,Led,Flouresent and Luminaire [FONT=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif](the latter is harder to spell so not often used)
[/FONT]Not seen bulb written on the packaging.
2 What did Thomas Edison invent? The first comercial light bulb

Cambridge dictionary definitions Light bulb a ​roundedglasscontainer with a ​thinthread of ​metal inside that ​produceslight when an ​electriccurrent goes through it

Lamp a ​device for giving ​light, ​especially one that has a ​coveringor is ​contained within something:

Just hoping nobody mentions globes or even "Bubbles" Shhhhhh

Wires or cables ? well I think a wire is a single and a cable is made up of a group of wires.

Machine drawings have wiring diagrams not cableing diagrams unless you know better?

I am easy with both representations.

The topics comes up often so whats your views? and does it bother you?

1 Go into any electrical wholesalers and look in the "lights section" and you will find the following labeled as lamps :-- Incandesent,Hid,Led,Flouresent and Luminaire (the latter is harder to spell so not often used)
Not seen bulb written on the packaging.
2 What did Thomas Edison invent? The first comercial light bulb

Cambridge dictionary definitions Light bulb a ​roundedglasscontainer with a ​thinthread of ​metal inside that ​produceslight when an ​electriccurrent goes through it

Lamp a ​device for giving ​light, ​especially one that has a ​coveringor is ​contained within something:

Just hoping nobody mentions globes or even "Bubbles" Shhhhhh

Wires or cables ? well I think a wire is a single and a cable is made up of a group of wires.

Machine drawings have wiring diagrams not cableing diagrams unless you know better?

I am easy with both representations.

Edison did not invent the lightbulb (The Myth of The Lone Inventor) | Scott Berkun

I call them bulbs, for numerous reasons:
Customers and end users are likely to call the changeable thing that glows a bulb, and a fitting that it goes in a lamp, eg a table lamp; it makes sense to me to stick to terminology they understand.
In the context of what you're talking about they're unlikely to think you're talking about bulbs in a horticultural context.

I refer to a linear bulb such as a K7 or T5 as a 'tube', but they fall under the general heading of 'light bulbs'.

I refer to the act of changing bulbs 'light bulbery' as opposed to the more conventional 're-lamping'. I feel my expression is more whimsical - 'going for a spot of light bulbery' makes it sound like a pleasurable occasion, like a spot of light lunch.

Pedantic electricians insist on calling them 'lamps' purely for the sake of convention, and calling them 'bulbs' annoys them.

I don't see why you should go to work every day to be miserable.

Seeing as the purpose of language is to communicate with others, I find it best to call things as they are most easily understood by others.

In 1804 we had commercial gas lamps starting to light our streets....They were gas lamps, not gas bulbs!!! On introduction of electricity, some bright spark, decided it would be better to used the existing lamps, and change the internal fittings and utilize the gas pipe for cabling, saved money, good idea.....the lighting became a simple change from gas lamp to electric lamp.

In 1804 we had commercial gas lamps starting to light our streets....They were gas lamps, not gas bulbs!!! On introduction of electricity, some bright spark, decided it would be better to used the existing lamps, and change the internal fittings and utilize the gas pipe for cabling, saved money, good idea.....the lighting became a simple change from gas lamp to electric lamp.
Were the bulbs even replaceable in a gas lamp?
To my mind the bulb is the replaceable (traditionally bulb shaped) bit and the lamp is the fitting they go into - in the case of a fitting with non-replaceable LEDs it could be a lamp without bulbs.

Early gas lights were just a flame but later they used mantles which were bulb shaped which were made of cotton covered chemicals which glow white when heated. Once lit the cotton burnt away leaving them very fragile.There was no glass bulb just the plain glass in the lantern to shield the flame/mantle.

Theres a pub on Heath commom Wakefield call Kings Arms that is still principally lit with gas lights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its good to call them bulbs every now and then, just to wind people up. It's not just in the electrical train that you can annoy people.
My mate and I used to wind up our dive instructor my referring to our mask and fins as 'goggles' and 'flippers'

If I ever said Bulb at work my Boss (who wired the arc) would always said 'I don't pay you for gardening' Which I thought was very annoying, Now if anyone says Can you sort my bulb out I say 'I'll just get my Wellies and Fork' because I'm just that funny...
I also remember getting told at college that live conductors should be called line conductors, So I went to work the next day, said something about switched lines and permanent lines only to be told 'I don't pay you to work on railways'...

Anyone who works in theatrical lighting will be able to confirm that it is neither bulb, nor lamp, the correct term is 'bubble'

Did put Bubble or globe in my first post Dave and knowing you do a bit in theatrical lighting expected it (only heard of it once) and said "whats a bubble" and got laughed at before being told.Really thought it was a joke like the spirit level one.

A couple of years ago I spent 5 days on a yacht doing my 'Competent'Crew' RYA course. I mistakenly called the chart a 'map' and was put straight. On the final night we planned a night passage and started out, looking all the time for the different navigational lights plotted on our plan. We all fell into using the term 'map' in our mild anxiety and efforts not to crash or veer off course.

When we were safely tied up in port, the skipper/ examiner told us he had been below decks listening and eating his fist but didn't say anything at the time because getting the job done was more important than using none nautical terminology. Made me laugh though picturing him.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago I spent 5 days on a yacht doing my 'Competent'Crew' RYA course. I mistakenly called the chart a 'map' and was put straight. On the final night we planned a night passage and started out, looking all the time for the different navigational lights plotted on our plan. We all fell into using the term 'map' in our mild anxiety and efforts not to crash or veer off course.

When we were safely tied up in port, the skipper/ examiner told us he had been below decks listening and eating his fist but didn't say anything at the time because getting the job done was more important than using none nautical terminology. Made me laugh though picturing him.
Boaty people are the worst for insisting you use their pedantic terminology - "It's not a wall it's a bulkhead. It's not a window it's a porthole. It's not a kitchen it's a galley. It's not a room it's a compartment. It's not a bog it's a head...."
Of course me being me I go out of my way to use the layman's terminology just to wind them up.

Reply to Lamp or bulb wire or cable? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock