Discuss Laptop motherboard component in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

amit87

What is the name of this laptop motherboard component? on the "PQ29" it says on it "FDS, FD54435BZ" where the B could be an 8 and a Z could be a 2 but am sure it is BZ. I have included pictures. I assume the burnt one is most likely the same as the motherboard consists of the same parts in series in most places. (from an acer aspire 5710)

Thanks in advance

PS if it is not obvious, the last two and 3rd pictures hsow the burn out component, first 2 pics are of the reverse side and 4th one is general picture of the motherboard. thanks

Laptop motherboard component {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

What is the name of this laptop motherboard component?

Hi

The burn't out component is called a SOIC (small outline intergrated circuit). It should be surface soldered at each gull wing. If you take the part to an electronics store you should be able to purchase a replacement and solder it to the board. Pay attention to the dot on the SOIC, the replacement should be soldered the same way as this indicated that pin 1 (gull wing) is next to the dot.

hope this helps

Don't forget that nearly all motherboards are multilayerd PCB's which makes it damn near impossible to change all except the bigger componants.
I would save your time and effort and just replace the motherboard.
I have built computers as a job in the past and now as a hobby for about 25 years, I stopped trying to change out the componants on circuit boards (except power adapters and other big bits) over ten years ago, locating the spares and the fiddlyness just to have it still not work is not worth it!

thanks for the replies. The part does not seem al that small to me, ive seen some youtube videos and people solder such things eaisly (not suggesting i will do myself, will get sumone that can solder), so is it really that hard to solder?!

Also is there a specific part number or anything that i need, or just ot no that its a SOIC thingy? I know these parts usualy cost aorund a few pence so i would rather try fix it then pay £100 for a new motherboard.

Thansk again.

Hi

They are easy to solder. Just make sure that the pins are soldered seperately and that they are soldered nicely to the solder pads on the circuit board.

I'm not sure of the exact component detail but if you take it into a shop, they will be able to identify it by the number printed on it and give you a like for like replacement.

Thanks

I was a bit worried people wouldnt have a clue but im glad people do, thanks again. I can only assume the part burnt is the same spec as the one next to it. You think it is likely anything else is damaged? the plastic casing had a burnt hoel through it.

Hi
It's hard to say what else could be damaged without having the circuit board tested. Another issue maybe that there is another faulty component on the board causing that one to pop.

My recommendation is the burn't out one will probably have the same code on it as the one next to it. Buy a new one and solder it on the board, put it back together and test it. If it all works ok you have saved yourself a lot of money, if it pops the new component, your back to square one, only cost you pennies and time to buy another motherboard as it would cost you more to have that one tested to find the fault.
Thanks

Reply to Laptop motherboard component in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock