Discuss Last minute queries for AM2. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

OhmSweetOhm

Hi people,

Got my AM2 next week and was just hoping that you lot would be able to answer a few last minute queries of mine. So hear goes...

Schedule of test results form:

1. Would the components in an S plan system be "vulnerable to testing"? (eg. the stats and controller)
2. The 'Overcurrent Device Short-circuit capacity' box, where do I obtain this rating? (It's in kA)
3. If the form does not have a column for what phase the breaker is on, would you, in write the phase number in the 'circuit description' column?
4. Under insulation resistance on the form it has 'Live/Live'. Is this just their way of putting Live/Neutral?
5. Also, should you test insulation resistance between Neutral and Earth? If yes, and the sheet does not have a column for this, where would you write this?
6. Also, when doing the Ring Main end to end tests (Live to Live etc...) if your form has no column for this, where would you record those readings?
7. And final question (I think), on a test sheet, how do you properly record a 3 phase supply? Say the supply is on 1L1 1L2 and 1L3, I am currently writing motor for example, in the 1L2 circuit description box and putting an arrow up and down to show the same thing is on those to phases. Is this adequate?

Sorry to be a pain in the arse guys, just don't wanna mess up :/

Hi people,

Got my AM2 next week and was just hoping that you lot would be able to answer a few last minute queries of mine. So hear goes...

Schedule of test results form:

1. Would the components in an S plan system be "vulnerable to testing"? (eg. the stats and controller)
2. The 'Overcurrent Device Short-circuit capacity' box, where do I obtain this rating? (It's in kA). on the MCB
3. If the form does not have a column for what phase the breaker is on, would you, in write the phase number in the 'circuit description' column?yes
4. Under insulation resistance on the form it has 'Live/Live'. Is this just their way of putting Live/Neutral?no, it's phase/phase
5. Also, should you test insulation resistance between Neutral and Earth? If yes, and the sheet does not have a column for this, where would you write this?yes. all sheets should have this column
6. Also, when doing the Ring Main end to end tests (Live to Live etc...) if your form has no column for this, where would you record those readings?umn as far all sheets have this colas i'm aware
7. And final question (I think), on a test sheet, how do you properly record a 3 phase supply? Say the supply is on 1L1 1L2 and 1L3, I am currently writing motor for example, in the 1L2 circuit description box and putting an arrow up and down to show the same thing is on those to phases. Is this adequate?i usually bracket the 3 lines

Sorry to be a pain in the arse guys, just don't wanna mess up :/

my answres, right or wrong, in red.

What you mean its phase phase, telectrix? And different MCBs have different short circuit capacity so what one do you put? Is it not the short circuit capacity of the main breaker? I'm pretty sure I have a pathetic test sheet here :/

Cheers Mr Mike!

The regulation test certificates are completely differen't to the test sheet's you would normally fill in at work. For example according to bs7671 you do not test your neutrals at all for any tests, this includes ring mains and insulation resistance so the only test you'll be doing will be end to end for live to live and earth to earth and you will tick the ring box. and you'll only be testing live to earth, live to neural, and NOT earth to neutral, as that is not an recognised test in the regs.

the Overcurrent Device Short-circuit capacity will be on the front or side of the breaker usualy written as 6000 or 10000 or 6ka or 10ka.

and something else you may need to know which you havent mentioned is the total demand of the installation is all the breakers added up, this should not exceed the main swicth rated current on new boards this is 100a.

What you mean its phase phase, telectrix? And different MCBs have different short circuit capacity so what one do you put? Is it not the short circuit capacity of the main breaker? I'm pretty sure I have a pathetic test sheet here :/

Cheers Mr Mike!

L1 to L2 etc. IR between lines or phases on a 3 phase installation.

The regulation test certificates are completely differen't to the test sheet's you would normally fill in at work. For example according to bs7671 you do not test your neutrals at all for any tests, this includes ring mains and insulation resistance so the only test you'll be doing will be end to end for live to live and earth to earth and you will tick the ring box. and you'll only be testing live to earth, live to neural, and NOT earth to neutral, as that is not an recognised test in the regs.

the Overcurrent Device Short-circuit capacity will be on the front or side of the breaker usualy written as 6000 or 10000 or 6ka or 10ka.

and something else you may need to know which you havent mentioned is the total demand of the installation is all the breakers added up, this should not exceed the main swicth rated current on new boards this is 100a.

if yo look at a schedule of test results you will find a column for rn ( end /end neutral of a ring final) and under IR is a column for N/E.

line/phase., red /brown., blue/grey. either way if you get it wrong it goes bang.

the proper testing sequence is dead tests followed by live tests

the first test you need to do is measure the gas and water bonding by disconnecting both ends and taking an reading using the long lead method to get an r2 reading, you will have to write W= 0.02 ohms G = 0.01 ohms at the bottom of the schedule of test results

Then youll have to get an R1+R2 values for all your circuits and measure it at every point and obv taking the highest reading and remember to link together L-E for your ring as a figure of 8

then you have to check you have a ring taking end to end for the lives and earths tick the ring box, but i would write below your results Ring L = 1 ohm E = 1.67ohm

Then its time for your Insulation resistance at 500v for all circuits linking out live and neutral with one probe and the other goes on the earth. If any circuits have sensitive electronics you'll do these tests at 250v still linking together live and neutral. Remember with your 2 way switching flick the switch so you test each conductor so for your lights you'll be doing the insulation resistance i think 4 times.

Through doing the insulation resistance and R1 + R2 your confirming the polarity through these tests so tick the polarity box.

Now its time for your Live tests.

for your Ze disconnect the main earth ensuring all circuits are switched off as well as the main switch and clip the earth lead to the disconnected earth and you'll get your Ze do this test 3 times once for each phase recording the highest value. for your pfc double the value and test the same way as you did for the Ze. now reconnect the main earth

they'll want you to confirm the polarity of the incoming cables so with your voltage indicator test:
E-N this will be 0v
E - L1 = 230
E - L2 = 230
E - L3 = 230
N - L1 = 230
N - L2 = 230
N - L3 = 230
L1 - L2 = 415
L1 - L3 = 415
L2 - L3 = 415

record the highest voltage you get as 230/415 in the Uo box

and in the U box record the volatage as 230/415

For your Zs you'll need to test at every point and record the highest value for that circuit

Then your rcd tests, you'll do 6 tests for each rcd 1/2x 1x 5x all at 0 and 180 degree's record the highest reading

Nice one mate, the more I read it the less nervous I get. Just gonna keep going through the tests in my textbooks and looking at the pictures and try and get them into my head even more.

Anyone got or know of any link or document that shows what each box on the schedule of inspection form means? Not sure on quite a few of them.

Also on that sheet, 'Presence of fire barriers, suitable seals, and protection against thermal effects'. Would fire proof glands for FP200 count? I'm thinking no :/

Testing and faultfinding is easy, as long as you understand what you get and why, and what to expect you can't really go wrong. All circuits are the same you test them the same way, apart from rings where you have to do the figure of 8 tests but thats not hard. Fault finding is easy enough its just somthing you pick up along the way.

Ive never installed sy cable or data cabling or done an heating system so im sh##ing my self about that.

Was shown the S plan on Wednesday mate and you have nothing to worry about. All components are pre-wired and go to a JB. The JB is the only thing you have to connect up. You're given a diagram for it and it's literally like a dot to dot. You obviously have to get a feed to the system from the DB too which is no biggy.

Another question people. Was reading the on site guide yesterday and noticed that it says main breaker open and MCBs closed for IR tests. The picture however says that both should be open?

Reply to Last minute queries for AM2. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net