Discuss Leak into light fitting - what to advise the customer tonight? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
It's 7pm and I've just had a call from a landlord I work for.

They've got a leaking roof. It's leaking into a loft flat, and in turn leaking through the floor and dripping out of the light fitting of the flat below. Landlord says she can't get access to the loft flat tonight. Wants to know what to tell the tenant of the lower flat to do about the water dripping out of her light fitting. She suggested telling her to turn the power off and use candles.

I know from having worked on another flat in the building (and they were all developed at the same time) that the flats have 17th edition boards so the lighting circuit will be RCD protected.

The line I took was that she should turn of the lighting circuit at the board, but that if that's not practicable (i.e. if she hasn't got any plug-in lamps) then she's better to leave the lighting circuit on than start lighting candles as the fire risk from candles is surely greater than the risk of harm from water getting into an RCD-protected circuit.

I haven't told the landlord they need to incur out of hours charges from me or anyone else as there's not much I (or anyone else) could do without access to the floor above. The landlord will be going there first thing tomorrow to look and to get the leak sorted.

I really just wanted to put this out there to check I'm not being too lacsadaisical. I never know quite how to respond when people ring me up with questions along the lines of "is this safe?"!!

All thoughts welcome! Thanks

I'd say the sensible option is to isolate the affected circuit(s) and the tenant must have a romantic evening by flashlight. If you advise the circuit is left on then you may find yourself responsible if there's collateral damage or injury.

as above. advise switching off the MCB for the affected circuit.

1 hr since the original post (2 hrs since the phone call) ....... Im hoping the good advice above was followed and the lighting circuit has been isolated until the problem can be investigated!?!?! Preferably once the rain has ceased!

now then. it's past beer o'clock. emmeroids is over, should be at home, feet up, beer in hand, 'er indoors cooking a rare steak, if kate is reading, it's a man thing. LOL.

Reply to Leak into light fitting - what to advise the customer tonight? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net